Just got back from vacation, and I noticed something...

So I live in Orlando, Fl, but I just spent a week in Gatlinburg Tn with my sisters. I noticed something while I was there. Every single shop, store, gas station, etc.. in Tn had a religious display. It's usually the biggest, and closest to the door, display holding crosses, collectibles, bumper stickers, t-shirts, or anything else they can use to get the words Jesus loves you out there. Even while in Tn we went to a place called the Comedy Barn, for some fun, and half the songs they sang were about Jesus. It was a little strange for me to be so saturated with religious propaganda. I'm not saying that you can't find that kind of stuff here in Orlando, you just have to look around for it. Up there I felt like people had an, "In your face" kind of attitude regarding religion.

So my question is, Is it like that in your area, where you can't go anywhere with out God being thrown in your face? And how do you feel about it?

my2.5boys

Asked by my2.5boys at 10:46 AM on Dec. 31, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• I live in southern Louisiana, and I don't really see that here. I see some signs every now and then about God or Jesus but not that much and only around Christmas time. We have all different types of "churches" for different types of religion. I have seen some for Jews, Buddhists, Hindus, Muslims, and not to mention the different types of Christian churches.  We also have different stores that cater to different beliefs.  I, personally, am not any of these religions so I don't really care.  What someone believes or doesn't believe is none of my business and if they want to display it on their property it's their right.

dddd2776

Answer by dddd2776 at 4:39 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• Its not like that hear lol
    dtetz

Answer by dtetz at 10:48 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• Maybe it's a "Southern Thing"..I'm in ATL and I don't feel threatened by it..Ignore it..I get tired of seeing "Obama" stickers, but Oh well..
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:48 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• I live in Castle Rock, CO. And you hardly ever see it here... my opion is you don't see it enough! I think places like TN they are very down home Religious states... so really that is the norm for them.
    Cherrytea20

Answer by Cherrytea20 at 10:49 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• I never said I felt threatened by it, I said it was just strange to be so saturated by it.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 10:50 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• My husband and I were actually considering moving to Tn, but after visiting I think I'm going to reconsider. It's not that I didn't have a great time. I had a wonderful vacation, and loved that I got to spend a week with my sisters, it's just that I think I would go nuts being surrounded by that all day every day forever.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 10:53 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• Then I would suggest you not move. Have you visited any other place besides the Smokey Mountains? Or are you just going to base your entire opinion of the state on one area you happen to be at?
    Southerncharmes

Answer by Southerncharmes at 10:57 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• Welcome to the deep south! It's like that here in Alabama as well. Now, imagine you're an atheist family, like mine, and you live in this sort of atmosphere. How comfortable would you feel? Would you feel safe? Would you feel welcomed? Now, imagine being told on a continuous basis that if you don't like it, just ignore it...it's impossible to ignore. It's everywhere. No, I won't move. This is my home and I have just as much right to live here as the God people do.
    mizkaye

Answer by mizkaye at 11:05 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• That's why they call it the bible belt. :)
    MomShawn70

Answer by MomShawn70 at 11:06 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• Actually the entire reason we wanted to move to Tn was because of the Smokey Mountain area. So yeah, I will base my opinion off that.

mizkaye, I really feel for you. Living in Orlando, being an atheist family doesn't really matter to most people around here, so I have things pretty easy. When my husband and I are finally ready to move, I am going to visit each place we are considering to make sure we wont end up in a situation like you and your family are in. I understand not wanting to leave your home, but I'm going to make sure I don't move into an area like that, because it would drive me bonkers. You can't ignore it when it's everywhere!
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 11:10 AM on Dec. 31, 2008