Co-sleeping?

Whats all the hype about co-sleeping? Did I miss something? Do Mom's sleep with the baby or do both parent's sleep with baby or (children)? I'm confused..fill me in.

sydsmom2

Asked by sydsmom2 at 10:57 AM on Dec. 31, 2008 in General Parenting

• I guess that this is a personal preference. I only remember napping with son when he was a baby, but he always slept in his own bed at night. This is my own personal preference but i think that it helped my son with his own independence as he grew older and he didn't experience seperation anxiety.
    Nubiangeek

Answer by Nubiangeek at 11:04 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• My son and daughter have both slept with us. Sometime they still do. When my son was a baby, it was the only way to get him to go to sleep. Sometimes, he does want me to lay with him in his bed and I do that too. Soon they will be too old to need me to do that so I am happy for the closeness for now.
    PurpleDawn

Answer by PurpleDawn at 10:59 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• We coslept with my oldest, out of necessity because we lived with my in-laws and they couldn't stand for her to cry at all at night, but not with our other two children. I don't really see that it has made a difference, other than the fact that to this day we can't get the child out of our bed.
    Silvertears1275

Answer by Silvertears1275 at 11:22 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• My babies sleep with both of us. I've never had a baby use a crib.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 11:22 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• Co-sleeping isn't an issue if its something you want to start with baby and then continue till he decides he wants to stop. :) Too many parents begin a habit and then later down the road decide it isn't working for them (for various reasons) and then they have to re-build a habit with baby that they themself created, causing baby to be confused and upset and making nitetimes cranky times. If you find parents that love it and they have happy healthy sweet children then this might be the way for you, but remember it takes 3 times to build a habit and 3 times to break one, so don't start something you don't want to keep up.
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 12:23 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• I've been bed sharing (co-sleeping usually means sleeping in the same room) with my 17 month old since we came home from the hospital. It's awesome for breast feeding moms because you don't have to get up, get the formula ready, feed the baby sitting up, etc. You can just roll over and let your baby latch on. :) It's a great way to make your baby feel secure as well.
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 12:37 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• I EBF so I love co-sleeping, my DH on the other hand not so much. I totally agree with the PP it is conveinant if you breastfeed because you don't have to get out of bed. I'll either let her sleep in our bed or we both sleep in the guest room.
    ms.taylor_made

Answer by ms.taylor_made at 1:53 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• my three year old sleeps with me....it started when she was about four months old...she was breastfed and woke up A LOT to eat. I would end up putting her in bed with me and we would both dose off....she's been there ever since. I am a single mom and i actually feel safer with it that way.
    Sunshine38585

Answer by Sunshine38585 at 11:19 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• lifeasinoit: Why would you wait for your child to "decide" when to stop sleeping with you?
    sydsmom2

Answer by sydsmom2 at 1:39 PM on Jan. 1, 2009