Am I a bad mom?

We have to move out of our 2 br apartment. We want to save some money so we decided to get a one bedroom apt. The thing is there will be me, my boyfriend and our 6 month old daughter. Am i bad to not spend the little bit more and get her, her own room. I feel bad but that extra money could be diaper, formula, wipes. I don't know what to do. PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MadeylnsMom

Asked by MadeylnsMom at 10:59 AM on Dec. 31, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• No your not a bad mother, That is a good idea. Most babys feel safer and sleep better closer to there mother so you will probably both get more sleep and have extra money for what your baby needs the most!
    Morgan.

Answer by Morgan. at 11:08 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• I don't think you are a bad mom... you are doing the best you can. Besides, right now some babies are still sleeping in the same room as their parents. You may see that your baby notices and doesn't sleep as well because of the extra noise. Is there a way that you could maybe set up a divider in the bedroom to help block the noise that you guys will sometimes create and to have a little privicy? Something like what you might dress behind(i don't know the name of it) or hang a curtain. I will say that when the baby becomes a toddler you might want to look at aleast getting a small bedroom for her. But for right now as long as you love her, give her what she need... she'll be fine. Just keep in mind that noise might cause a problem. Good luck!
    theDavis3

Answer by theDavis3 at 11:11 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• Of course not! No big deal. Many children at that age share a room with their parents. You guys are trying to make a choice that will enable you to do better in the future.
    Southerncharmes

Answer by Southerncharmes at 11:13 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• no, these are the times...everyone has to allocate their money how it would be more beneficial for them...and if moving to a 1 bedroom will be better financially for you, then, that's what's best. you're not a bad mother for doing a good thing for your family. one day you'll live in a bigger place and your child will have her own room...until then, it's okay, you've gotta do what you've gotta do. good luck and happy new year!
    GreekMama28

Answer by GreekMama28 at 11:13 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• There is nothing wrong with sharing a room with your daughter if it means that you can provide better for her. It's a tough economy out there right now, when things settle down maybe you'll have the opp. to get a bigger place and such, but right now you just do what you have to. At least she still has a roof over her head, food in her belly, diapers on her butt. You are a GOOD mom to think of her first!
    kristal2146

Answer by kristal2146 at 11:15 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• No!! Your baby will love being in the room with you. Our baby has his own room and he still sleeps with me and my husband. Your BF is the baby's father right? It's Mommy and Daddy that your baby cares most about in the world why wouldn't she love being in the same room as you? If you were a single Mom and you had all kinds of different men coming into your room that would be different, but then that would be bad even if your baby was in a different room wouldn't it! You're a good mommy and by the time the baby needs her own room you'll have saved up enough money to be able to provide it for her.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 11:26 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• NO! Do what you have to do to get by until you can do better!! Feel blessed you can provide a roof !
    sydsmom2

Answer by sydsmom2 at 11:30 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• It's not like a 6 month old needs her privacy or anything. We're very spoiled now a days. My dad grew up in 3 bedroom house with 5 siblings. My grandparents had a room and the 6 kids shared 2 rooms. That was normal back then.

MAUREEN55

Answer by MAUREEN55 at 11:36 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• You gotta ask yourself if the money you are saving on the one bedroom is imporving the quality of life for you and your little one. If yes (ie I can afford food, diapers, water, etc. and not have to worry about working that one extra hour to make ends meet which instead can be used to spend time with family) then you are being a GREAT mommy!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:52 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• i think it is fine. My son is 2 and we are just phasing him out of our room and into the one he will share with his 3 yo. brother. I think its more of a comfort thing for us than him at this point so we are having to let him into there. Tonight is the first night. wish us luck!
    TBKSuperMama

Answer by TBKSuperMama at 12:05 PM on Dec. 31, 2008