My 6yo needs some resposibilites! Any ideas?

We share a room and bathroom so besides the 'pick up after urself' duty I prefer to do whatever's left.No pets.. Never leaves too many toys around cuz he doesnt like toys (he says himself!) What is there left to do? I'm drawing blanks!

jolze

Asked by jolze at 11:04 AM on Dec. 31, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• If he's tall enough he doesn't have to wash the dishes but maybe rinse his dishes off. Perhaps vacuum?
    micrespo

Answer by micrespo at 11:08 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• My 6 and almost 4 year old have to set the table plates, silverware, glasses..... and then put the dishes in the sink when the meal is through and they also have to pick up their toys just so they have little chores... mainly for the 6 yr old lol but the 3 yr old loves to help set the table!!
    scaredmommy08

Answer by scaredmommy08 at 11:10 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• What about helping set the table for dinner/cleaning the table after dinner? My 6 yr old also unloads and reloads the dishwasher (I do help since she can't reach the upper cabinets, and make sure that everything is loaded right), taking the garbage bag out to the garbage can, bringing the garbage can back in on garbage day, helping sort laundry into piles of colors. She also helps fold laundry (mostly towels & jeans). My 2 yr old helps take clothes out of the dryer and push the wet clothes into the dryer. Once we get our house back in order after the holiday decorations are put away, my 6 yr old is going to get a lesson in running the vacuum in the living room and hallway.
    scrapbookmylife

Answer by scrapbookmylife at 11:11 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• He needs to make sure that his dirty clothes get put in the hamper. He can help sort the clothes. show him how to fold. Is he in school yet? If he is and has homework, that is part of his chores.
    Nubiangeek

Answer by Nubiangeek at 11:11 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• He is old enough to help with the laundry- sort, fold, put the folded clothes in the proper closet or room, and his clothes in his drawers. He is old enough to set and clear the table and to wash the dishes while you wipe and put them away ( and check that they are clean.)

Answer by Bmat at 11:18 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• My 6yo (and 7yo and 8yo) have to keep their toys put up, dirty clothes in the hamper, put dirty dishes in the sink, clean off the table after eating, sweep up any messes they make, keep toys/coloring stuff picked up in the living room, fold and put away their own clothes, dust, take out the garbage/recycling (if she can lift it...it's mostly my 7yo son's job).
    Pretty much she is responsible for anything that has to do with her own self and any messes she makes.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:54 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• I try to include personal hygiene issues also. Helping him become more self-sufficient if he isn't already. Things like bathing himself, washing his own hair (with supervision until he gets it), brushing his own teeth each day...I also help my children learn their colors better by "letting" them help me sort the laundry into piles to be washed :)
    tandknix

Answer by tandknix at 4:57 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• My children put their clothes away once I have folded them. They also help set the table for dinner and clear the table. Sometimes they take the trash out or empty the dish washer.

They also make their beds and keep their rooms clean.

I think it is just a matter of starting with something and sticking with it. Remember you just have to teach them how to do things first. I know that I still have to help my children clean their rooms.

Good Luck
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 5:49 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• My kids, 6 and 8, have to make up their beds and put their dirty clothes in the hamper. They also empty all of the trash cans in the house (bathrooms, bedrooms, etc.) and then take the trash out to the street once a week. They don't always do it perfectly, but it's more important to learn responsibility.
    pbgibson

Answer by pbgibson at 7:53 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• I understand wanting to do it yourself, but this statement says it best--

"The purpose of parenting is to protect and prepare children to survive and thrive in the society in which they live."

Meaning . . . he will be on his own some day. He should be learning everything you are doing! Cooking, cleaning . . . everything.
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 8:39 PM on Dec. 31, 2008