Can you spoil your children if you hold them all the time or let them sleep in your bed?

Sleeping with mommy ans daddy/spoiling children?

trentonalan

Asked by trentonalan at 11:07 AM on Dec. 31, 2008 in General Parenting

• How old? I never put my kids down the first few months. It helps with bonding, trust in you, their balance and it's good mental exercise for them. To me "spoiled" indicates something bad and rotten. Not a child. When you don't hold your children, they don't bond as well, they are overly clingy later on and insecure. That is my opinion as a mother and as a foster parent who takes care of babies that were neglected.
    So hold away mama....as for co-sleeping ... I did it. There is nothing like snugging up with a baby and sleeping. :) As they got older the feet in the face in the middle of the night wasn't so fun.
    MomShawn70

Answer by MomShawn70 at 11:17 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• i always say you can't spoil a child with LOVE :) my son is 9 months hold and i'll hold him asm uch as i want. he gets down when he wants to play and crawl. he isn't spoiled he'll go to anyone and doesn't cry when i leave him :) i dno't let him sleep in our bed though.. i refuse to let him get attacted to that.
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 11:13 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• it depends on the age, if its with an infant under the age of one (maybe two), then not really, if the child is over the age of three, then yes definately
    bi-polarmommy

Answer by bi-polarmommy at 11:14 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• unless he is sick*
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 11:14 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• I don't know so much about it spoiling them, but I know from experience that once they start sleeping with mommy and daddy, it's not so easy to get them to stop.
    Silvertears1275

Answer by Silvertears1275 at 11:20 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• If you can spoil a child by holding them all the time then every child in many third-world countries must be spoiled rotten. The idea that you can spoil a child by holding them too much is a product of rich, industrialized societies.
    desert_diva

Answer by desert_diva at 11:27 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• No, Each of mine slept with us full time until 1, part time until 2.
    cedailey

Answer by cedailey at 11:28 AM on Dec. 31, 2008