What should I pack in my overnight bag?

This is my first baby and I've been trying to get my bag ready for weeks!! I'm 31 weeks now and I think it's about time I packed more than just socks..lol..Help please!

piercedbeauty21

Asked by piercedbeauty21 at 11:17 AM on Dec. 31, 2008 in Pregnancy

• I just got discharged last Sunday from the hospital with my newborn. I thought I would need all sorts of books and movies to keep me busy, but lemme tell you...I didn't do ANYTHING except stuff related to my daughter. I was induced, and I had a 13.5 hour labor, and even then I didn't do anything except talk to people and wait to deliver.

My best friend was my pillow. The hospital ones are kind of starchy and flat, and the beds are very uncomfortable.
    Bring your own clothes to change into, bring pants and a gown in case you have a bad tear or need an episiotomy and pants are uncomfortable.
    Bring a few clothes for your baby to wear. Make SURE to bring newborn sizes, I thought my 41-week baby would be in 0-3 months, and every single thing swallowed her whole. She's wearing preemie sizes right now, and she's 7.5 pounds. (continued)

caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 11:31 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• Bring bedroom shoes, they'll keep your feet clean from the dirty hospital floor. Bring your own shampoo and soap, it'll make you feel more at home. DON'T forget your toothbrush!
    Bring batteries for your camera and keep it close to you at all times. You'll never know when a perfect picture moment will arrive.
    Don't bring diapers or wipes or anything like that, the hospital has everything there that you'll need for your newborn. They give you a nasal aspirator as well. Bring nail clippers though! They won't cut them for you at the hospital, and your baby will probably have really long fingernails when they come out.
    Bring chapstick, I forgot mine and was miserable the entire time.
    Bring hair ties if you have long hair. You'll probably want to pull it out of your face at some point, because you probably won't get to shower for awhile.

caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 11:36 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• I needed a brush, toothbrush and paste (they give you one, but the quality isnt great), baby blanket to swaddle baby, socks, a few diapers (they give you a pack of them, but just in case), Shampoo and conditioner (they gave me shampoo, but it sucked and no conditioner), If you like slippers and your feet get cold easily I suggest them, or at least a cozy pair of socks, comfy clothes to go home in (trust me, dont hastle with jeans) an outfit for baby to go home in. Hat and gloves for baby (especially if you live in a cold state) Dont bring undies for yourself, you will not want to use them. Use the hot mesh panties the hospital give you lol. If you are breast feeding, a nursing bra and pads:)
    LovinEveryDay

Answer by LovinEveryDay at 11:37 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• That's pretty much it. I'm sure someone will add stuff to what I forgot. Good luck and enjoy the last weeks of your pregnancy. I had a great labor and delivery experience, and I hope you do too! Words can't describe what it's like to look into your baby's eyes for the very first time :o]
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 11:37 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• Well for me I packed what I couldn't live without (tooth brush, hair brush, make up, make up remover, etc..). I also packed my pillow, socks, comfy clothes for going home, list of who to call once baby is born, camera, change for vending machine &parking. Stuff for baby; outfit, bib, carseat, blanket, diapers, bottle (if needed), binky.

Thanks all I can think of at this second. Hope I didn't forget anything.
    lizafur13

Answer by lizafur13 at 11:44 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• For you: Slippers, comfy socks, robe, pjs or comfy clothes (just like one or two pair though), underwear you don't care if they are ruined, travel sized shampoo, conditioner, mouthwash, toothbrush, deodorant, a brush, maybe a little bit of makeup for after labor, something to keep you busy like a book or something (you never know, you probably wont even want to use it but again you never know) snacks, your own pillow, pads, cell phone, make sure you have all your numbers with you, change in case you can't use your cell phone or want vending food, nipple cream, breast pads. For hubby: extra clothes, something to keep him busy, deodorant, snacks. Baby: coming home outfit, hat, booties, mittens, a couple outfits, a couple blankets, some diapers and wipes for on the way home, CAR SEAT, That is all I can think of off the top of my head... But I think I got pretty much everything. I am packing my bag day after tomorrow...
    Savanna22

Answer by Savanna22 at 11:48 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• OMG I forgot Camera... lol. That is a big one!
    Savanna22

Answer by Savanna22 at 11:49 AM on Dec. 31, 2008