My children father hit me in front of my 14 month old. I'm sure if I should go to a shelter and have him arrested because my kids need their father and I know he has alot of potential also I would feel bad putting someone in jail.

He hit me in front of my child

lep284

Asked by lep284 at 11:19 AM on Dec. 31, 2008 in Relationships

• POTENTIAL? No hell no he does NOT have potential if he hit you- ESPECIALLY in front of your kid... If he didnt wanna go to jail he should have been a man and kept his temper under control! You call the cops and get out of there NOW- what happens when he hits your kid? Hell no momma you get yourself out of that situation NOW before it gets any worse!
    SweetPea05

Answer by SweetPea05 at 11:21 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• There's always that possibility that if you don't put him in jail he will end up putting you (or your kids) 6 feet under. Your choice. I hope you make the right one. Best wishes.
    Southerncharmes

Answer by Southerncharmes at 11:22 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• I meant to say......Old houses have great potential...not wife abusers.
    Southerncharmes

Answer by Southerncharmes at 11:23 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• you need to leave, children DON"T need a father that hits their mother and may hit them, how quick would you be to throw his ass in jail if he hit your 14mth old instead of you?
    bi-polarmommy

Answer by bi-polarmommy at 11:24 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• Your kids DON'T need a father that is going to teach them it's ok to hit a woman, they DON'T need a father that's going to maybe hit them someday. What they DO need is a mother that feels safe and secure in her own home, so she can make them feel safe and secure. Go to a shelter, have him arrested, and tell yourself over and over that you will NEVER put yourself back into a situation like that. Good luck!
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 11:31 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• Wow, you are way too forgiving. If my DH ever hit me, he'd be discovering his 'potential" in jail being someone's b*itch.
    Do not give this guy a chance. He hit you and in front of your child, and you would feel "bad" for having him arrested.
    Get out and get out now, because it will only get worse. The only way to ever go back, is if he got some intense counseling and only go back after a year of it.
    Don't risk yours or your child's life because of some supposed potential and because you'd feel bad for putting him in jail.
    From a child's perspective (I watched my mother get beat many of times), it's better to get out and go to a shelter. Don't put your child through that.
    nwdeserangel

Answer by nwdeserangel at 11:31 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• My father use to get drunk, come home and beat up my mother (sometime he hit us kids too). She stayed with him "for the sake of the kids", finally divorcing him after we were all grown and gone. I feel like it scarred us all. It wouldn't hurt for you to both go to couselling if you can get him to. I think you could make contigency plan to leave him if it happens again. These things can get worse each time it happens. Try to start a secret savings. Document anything that happens. Be ready to GO.

binga19

Answer by binga19 at 11:32 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• Potential to hit you again, I don't know about much else. If you don't MAKE him get help and get help yourself then I'm sorry to say but you are on a downward spiral. It is NEVER acceptable to be hit by a man or make excuses for him hitting you. If you leave for anyone, do it for your children. Do you want your kids growing up thinking this is ok? What if he turns on them? Even if this is the FIRST time he's hit you, you are telling him it's ok by not doing anything about it. DO SOMETHING about it and get HELP. Call a shelter and make a report.
    a_and_j_momma

Answer by a_and_j_momma at 11:32 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• If he hit you in front of your child then you must leave before it gets worse. Right now I'd be more worried about his potential to hurt you and your child than worried about what he might be someday in the future with psychological help. Don't feel guilty for putting him jail, he is doing that to himself by hitting you. He needs to take responsibility for that. What are teaching your child by staying with someone who hit you??

Tawanda74

Answer by Tawanda74 at 11:34 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• I am going to have him arrested and go into a shelter, its going to be hard though because I dont have a job or transportation, I live in a state with no family. but Im willing to do anything for my children, I want to raise respectful young men.
    lep284

Answer by lep284 at 11:39 AM on Dec. 31, 2008