• In the Spotlight:

Pacifier Help

My son will be 3 in February and he still sucks on a pacifier. He doesnt use it all day in daycare, he actually gives it to me before he gets out the car. As soon as I pick him up from daycare he starts asking for it. He cant go to sleep without it. How can I get him off the pacifier? Any suggestions?

Krystle21

Asked by Krystle21 at 11:22 AM on Dec. 31, 2008 in General Parenting

• Try giving him a "blankie" to go to bed with or have him pick out his favorite stuffed animal and see if that works. I just my son, 18 months, off the bottle to go to sleep by giving him his favorite ELMO doll.
    trentonalan

Answer by trentonalan at 11:27 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• Snip a hole in the end of it. It doesn't feel the same when they suck it.

MAUREEN55

Answer by MAUREEN55 at 11:32 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• I would reserve the paci for bedtime for a little while.. tell him no when he asks for it after daycare and explain that its a bedtime binky.. and then one day the binky fairy just comes and takes them all away. If you explain it logically to your child, at 3 he should be able to understand it and be ok with it. It might take a couple nights before he can really sleep without it, but at his age it shouldn't take long. he already understands what its like to go without the binky so 'giving the binky's to the binky fairy' isn't a big step for him. That's what a lot of the parents in my old daycare used to do and it is what we will do when my daughter is ready to get rid of hers. It also worked for my sister who's 3 year old just gave his binky up.
    kristal2146

Answer by kristal2146 at 11:33 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• The nurse at my pediatrician's office also suggested cutting the end off. I haven't tried it yet because I'm not ready!
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 11:46 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• My daughter had her passie until 3 and only had it at night. There were times when she had 17 yes 17 of them in her bed at night. I was scared to take them away for fear that she would not go asleep. Well one night I talked to her and took them all away..she fell right asleep...
    I realized that it was really me that was afraid to take the passie away and not her...
    I thought that I would not get sleep if she did not have them...but she did not miss them when they were gone.
    Dannee

Answer by Dannee at 12:01 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• IDRK because my son could take it or leave it, my oldest DD never took one and my youngest DD was the only one who did. She was about 18 months when we took her off of it. And yes the first 2-3 nights were rough, but we used the "out of sight, out of mind" approach and threw them all away. But this is just what we did. If you think the "blankie" will work, I say try it. You pretty much have to find what works for your child as they're all different. JMO.

LovingParent08

Answer by LovingParent08 at 12:58 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• My son is 18 months old and we just took his away. I had him throw one paci away and told him that he's a big boy now and doesn't need a paci. That night when we layed him down for bed he fussed for a few minutes and went right to sleep. We are on day 3 now and he is doing great. He doesn't even ask for it. I babysit a few kids and he hasn't even tried to take their pacifiers. For us just taking them away worked great. I know it doesn't work this great for everyone. You can try the binky fairy or I had a friend take her 3 year old to build a bear and they got a $10 bear and put her "favorite" binky in the build a bear and she never asked for it. She just went to sleep with her bear. Just an idea! Good Luck.
    frapanda

Answer by frapanda at 12:59 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• You could throw a good-bye binky party!! Make a cake in the shape of a binky, saying "Farewell." Invite his friends over and ceremoniously throw it away. Or, get some seedlings and plant the binky (works better in spring, but there are plants that bloom indoors in the winter) and watch it grow into a beautiful flower! Make sure you buy a flower that will start sprouting quickly though, so he can see the results. Good luck!
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 3:54 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• My daughter turned three in October and she is the same way!!! She will tell mebefore we go in places that she cant take it cus ppl will laugh at her but as soon as we leave she wants it and she sleeps with at least five to six a night!!!! She doesnt have a fav toy or blankie so i feel its her security and i am afraid to just take it away from her....i guess i hope she will give it up on her own. Guess i didnt help any but wanted you to know your not ALONE!
    Sunshine38585

Answer by Sunshine38585 at 11:17 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• I have found (I had 2 kids that loved theirs) that when you are ready to be done with it, they will be okay with not having it. It is easier for us, as parents, to let them have it and not have them upset or fussing. For me, I got super frustrated looking for the "last one" and said forget it and it was that night (both times) that I was able to listen to the fussing for a little while without getting upset. They really only fussed that one night. It's amazing how quickly they recover from things like that. I did try the cutting thing, but both of mine still wanted to have it by their mouths at night.
    JAYLOG

Answer by JAYLOG at 1:27 AM on Jan. 2, 2009