How do you find a family member you've never met you don't have much info on?

I've never met my father, and don't care too much about meeting him, but I do have a sister I would like to meet and maybe younger siblings. I know her name and the year she was born, but thats it. I know his name and approximate age, he is ex military but got kicked out in 86. I've tried FB and get TOO many hits, and I don't like the idea of sending out a mass message to everyone with her name asking, "Are you my sister?"

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

MomNtheRes

Asked by MomNtheRes at 10:13 PM on Sep. 11, 2011 in Relationships

• I've heard about tracing birth parents through DNA testing. But I think this only applies for adoption cases.
    Cafemomoftwo217

Answer by Cafemomoftwo217 at 10:17 PM on Sep. 11, 2011

• Not adopted, just never met him. He had the option of contacting and chose not to. I know my sister is half German and her monther was from Germany, there is a good chance they could even be over there. I don't have a clue as to how to get started besides google.
    MomNtheRes

Comment by MomNtheRes (original poster) at 10:20 PM on Sep. 11, 2011

• I was looking for my sister a couple years ago, and posted a I'm looking for you letter on some website. I'm not even sure what it was ,but some guy emailed me. He was a private investigator that asked me a couple questions and found a address for me. I'll go check my email and get his email address for you. It was totally free and he like offered to find her it was weird.

ZachsMom325

Answer by ZachsMom325 at 10:29 PM on Sep. 11, 2011

• have you tried genealogy sites like Ancestry.com? Facebook even has an app something like that but I don't know how good that one works though.
    Rosxjun88

Answer by Rosxjun88 at 10:29 PM on Sep. 11, 2011

• Here is his info "Mister Keene, Tracer of Lost Persons" 

Hope you find her    good luck

ZachsMom325

Answer by ZachsMom325 at 10:32 PM on Sep. 11, 2011

• "Mister Keene, Tracer of Lost Persons" <misterkeene@charter.net>,
    ZachsMom325

Answer by ZachsMom325 at 10:33 PM on Sep. 11, 2011

• "he is ex military"
    You should call the American Red Cross they might be able to look through records.
    Cafemomoftwo217

Answer by Cafemomoftwo217 at 10:35 PM on Sep. 11, 2011

• google her name and date of birth sometimes that will get you a hit, thats how I found a family member
    luvmygrandbaby

Answer by luvmygrandbaby at 12:02 AM on Sep. 12, 2011