How can I get my kittens ready for a new baby?

I'm 31 weeks pregnant and I have 2 kittens (about 5.5 months old). I let them watch me set her stuff up, and smell her clothes and little things like that, but they have a habit of jumping into her crib and sleeping there, or getting into the closet and stealing her socks. I know they're just curious and they won't hurt the baby, but is there a way to kinda get them more ready for when she comes home?

piercedbeauty21

Asked by piercedbeauty21 at 11:38 AM on Dec. 31, 2008 in Pets

• yyou don't know that they won't hurt the baby. keep the kittens away!! are they declawed?? if not thats your first step. get them declawed. scold them for being in the crib thats teh last thing you need is the cats sleeping with your newborn. and once the baby is here slowly introduce them to it and make sure to supervise :)
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 11:50 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• My OB told us to constantly have something in the crib, pack n play, and evreything we set up so the cats can't just jump in there. They'll get used to it and jump in there whether the baby is in there or not. Plus cats constantly shed, and the hair can cause your baby to choke, they can jump and lay on the baby (my cat loves laying on peoples heads.)

I don't believe in declawing, that's painful for them. But most pet stores have those peticure things, that file their nails, or we have Soft Paws on our cat. They're these colorful things that go over their claws, and when they scratch it doesn't hurt or leave marks, the vet put them on pretty easily for us.
    oliviasmomma09

Answer by oliviasmomma09 at 11:57 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• krazyash023 & oliviasmomma09 - is your OB a vet? or an animal trainer? has there ever been a case in the whole time of having children that a child has died from cat hair? I'd recheck my answers. Listen, the kittens will not ever hurt your baby. Let them lie in the crib, it will make the transition of knowing a baby is soon to be on its way for them. Once the baby is here, yes they'll be curious and want to sniff the baby out in the crib, but let them. They know who the pride leaders are (you), they will welcome the baby like they would a cub/kitten in the wild. Never scold them or hit them for investigating, they are animals and doing the basics they would in the wild. If they are comforted in being in the crib, then you have nothing to fear.
    cthorn14

Answer by cthorn14 at 1:07 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• i had cats with both my boys, and never had a problem. they would sleep in the car seat (the baby was not in it) or the bouncy chair*(also no baby). i had a basket under the bassinette they would sleep in. they NEVER tried to smother the babys or anything like that. my dad has a cat that likes to steal bottles and eat the nipple though haha.
    jbirchard

Answer by jbirchard at 3:20 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• I have cats and a baby due any day now. I have been letting the cats feel free to investigate the baby's things as they get put together. They don't seem to have much interest in the crib - which is nice simply because I don't want them to get into the habit of sleeping in there. I don't worry about them hurting the baby on purpose, but it is possible for accidents to happen. I can't imagine my cat taking it well if baby gets a handful of cat hair and starts pulling. One of our cats is a cuddler - I think it's sweet, but I don't want her to get comfy cuddling too close to the baby - there is the outside chance of smothering. It may only be a chance - but it's one I am not comfortable taking.
    ElderGothMom

Answer by ElderGothMom at 6:35 PM on Dec. 31, 2008