Should I tell my parents and boyfriend?

Both my parents were physically abusive towards me, so I moved out. I'm 19. I've just recently found out I was pregnant. I am scared of telling my parents and boyfriend, since the baby's not his. What should I do?

Aoife1014

Asked by Aoife1014 at 12:00 PM on Dec. 31, 2008 in Relationships

• you dont need to tell your parents, but you should tell your b/f
    do you know who the father is? (not trying to imply that you sleep around, just things happen thats out of our controll)
    bi-polarmommy

Answer by bi-polarmommy at 12:04 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• Wow, you are in a mess! Tell your parents over the phone if they are abusive. Tell your boyfriend in person that you're pregnant and it's not his baby. Tell the father of the child you are pregnant if you haven't already. You don't live with your parents so I wouldn't stress them.
    Anonymous

• I would tell your boyfriend, but you are an adult and don't have to tell your parents--they don't even have to have a relationship with the baby if you don't want them to. Good luck!!!
    coala

Answer by coala at 12:06 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• If you have no relationship with your parents and/or they were abusive to you...then you have every right to keep this information to yourself at least for the time-being. My children have a grandfather they've never met... it's just the way it is.

As far as your boyfriend goes.... you have to be honest with him. Will he bolt? Most likely... but you sorta brought that one on yourself. It's better to get it all out in the open now rather than lead him to believe it's his. You don't want him to find out & leave later after your child has known him as 'daddy'.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 12:06 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• can I ask,
    did you cheat on your boyfriend? I am not bashing by any mean.
    Anonymous

• well if your keeping the baby they will find out sooner or later. if you love your boyfriend you should respect hiim enough to tell him. hemight be okay with it ... if you didn't cheat either way you should tell him your parents you can tell over the phone. i woulnd't even stress over telling them. Good luck!
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 12:13 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• Have a well established trusted family friend or personal friend of yours with you when you tell parents and soon to be x. or have a minister with you. Sleep in a neutral place of emotional safety until a while after you break the news. Don't set yourself up to be abused again either verbally or physically.
    Anonymous

• Well, I would tell the baby's dad first. You two need to figure out what you are going do. Are you going to try to make things work or is he just going to be there for the baby. If you just found out that you are pregnant then you must not be to far along so how long have you been in the relationship you are in now. If the baby is not his he is probably going to be pretty upset. If he loves you and you love him then he may stay together with you. It is up to you on what and when you tell your parents. You are an adult so it is your decision.
    sixlilmonsters

Answer by sixlilmonsters at 12:40 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• The question is are you living with your boyfriend and are you financially dependent on him? The only reason I ask is if you do tell him and he breaks up with you - will you be forced to move back in with your parents. How independent are you. Before you tell anyone, you should have a back up plan if things don't go over well.
    kathyartist2007

Answer by kathyartist2007 at 12:42 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• if you want your parents and your child to have a relationship then you should tell them. I'm not the one to ask about the boyfriend thing tho.. sorry I can't help more
    kristal2146

Answer by kristal2146 at 1:45 PM on Dec. 31, 2008