• In the Spotlight:

What should I do about my son hitting other kids?

Hi my name is Ashley I have a 2yr old boy named Joshua he's a very nice kid but, sometimes he hits and pinches other kids and push's them over and im scared to put him in daycare cuz i think he might end up getting kicked out. I've tried time out, distracting him, yelling, telling him why its wrong even tried a spanking once nothing is working please if u have any suggestions let me know!

Ashley2323

Asked by Ashley2323 at 12:21 PM on Dec. 31, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my yougest is a bully to her other siblings,usually time out works for me,but when it doesnt, letting one of them get frustrated and hitting her back does,i dont really like that method, but it lets her know how they feel, so she calms down,unfortunately i have not found a permenant solution to this problem,but i hope i helped a little
    4four

Answer by 4four at 12:38 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• I've tried a time out "routine" that I started doing with my son and it seems to work with most of the problems I have with him. I put him straight to the timeout chair and give him 3 warnings before I put him in his room, which he hates because I take his toys away. If by those 3 warnings he continues to misbehave or act out he goes straight to nap. You have to be extremley persistent with it though. Sometimes time-outs don't work out all too well because parents become too frustrated that it's easier to let their children out of time out early rather then listen to them scream and cry but if you are thourough and persistent with it, you will see results, not immediately, but eventually. Toddlers, especially 2 year olds, can be extremely demanding and trying and boy do they know how to push buttons, but you have got to stick to a punishment and not be the good guy!
    Missybby2886

Answer by Missybby2886 at 1:28 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• I had the same problem with my daughter..she bites, pitches, and hits when she dosent want to share or if they are envading her little space..she honestly has a bad mean streak..i found that when the kids hit her back shes slower about being violent towards them..she dosent stop..but she do think twice...when i catch her hit and biting I pop her and tell he thats a no no, she cries for a little, but when shes about to do it again she stops and looks at me.
    kiyad22

Answer by kiyad22 at 8:19 PM on Dec. 31, 2008