Neat Freaks...how do you do it?

What do you do with your kids while you're cleaning? I just cleaned my kitchen....like really cleaned....spent 2 hours...cleaned out/organized/wiped everything down/scrubbed etc. Meanwhile, my 3 year old ate pretzels and fruit and watched Noggin for 2 hours, which I'm not ok with. So, people who clean like this often...what do you do with your little ones. By the way, she did "help me", but that lasted about 15 min which is the normal amount of time that I spend cleaning my kitchen lol! Anyway, this little "experiment" all started with my "perfect" MIL with her "perfectly" clean everything...barf :) So, someone please tell me how to get the best of both worlds...a really clean tidy home and a child that doesn't spend hours watching TV so mommy can clean. BTW...I 15 weeks pregnant...so what how the hell am I going to clean with two of them?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:31 PM on Dec. 31, 2008 in Home & Garden

• With the youngest you can put in a playpen (thats what I do with my 7 month old) or put into a walker (the other option if she is screaming because I am out of her sight).

The 3 year old...hmmm...well what does she normally do? Can she play in the living room with her toys while you clean?
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 12:34 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• Oh! Or you can try to do it while the 3 year old is taking a nap :)
    CarolynBarnett

• Wait, are you saying you spent all that time cleaning because your MIL had the stones to say something about your house? Never change your lifestyle to please someone else.

Now that the place is clean it shouldn't take but 5 to 10 monites to maintain it on a daily basis.  Just be sure to put things away immediately when your done with them, wash the dish as soon as it goes in the sick rather than waiting, wipe down any spills right away.

Madge1428

Answer by Madge1428 at 12:38 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• Yea, (op here) I can normally get a couple of hours a day to do whatever (nap time, play time, etc)...but that's when I do my bills/laundry/spot cleaning/phone calls et. I just can't spend 2 hours in one room. I just don't understand how people (MIL) do it? Of course she raised two boys by herself, worked full time, and still managed to keep a perfect house...ugh. Thanks for the suggestion!
    Anonymous

• i know what your saying, my MIL has this spotless house, BUT she goes from one room, lets say the back bedroom then cleans EVERYTHING! from scrubbing the walls down, and pulling dressers out to cleaning out closets, washing, ect, ect, ect. then she goes in a circle around her WHOLE house, from that back bedroom all the way to the other end which is the living room, she keeps this circle in her life i suppose so she can keep on the cleaniness so she doesnt have to do it all in one time. Once she hits the living room, she starts back in the back bedroom again.
    I would never do this because that would mean i would have to ignore my kids to gets one bedroom done for the day. I think if you have kids, its harder to do, so i dont know if its even possible!
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 12:42 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• A little dirt never hurt anyone. I use to be a neat freak and got sick of it.
    MarGeee

Answer by MarGeee at 12:51 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• I am always doing something too. Either cleaning,cooking,baking, something. Alot of the times my daughter is right under my feet and/or helping me and sometimes she is just playing in her room and I check on her every minute or 2, or coloring at the coffe table or something.
    asholan_07

Answer by asholan_07 at 12:57 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• When my daughtter was born, i just gave up. I use to keep my house perfectly tidy and clean. I deep cleaned it every weekend. Including steam cleaning the carpet. And everything had to be picked up off the floor and in its place. Now, it looks like a toy store exploded in my living room. And the laundey seems to multiply by itsself. So now, when i get home from work, i just make sure we have plenty of laundry clean, and do the dishes right after we are done eating. That is my biggest pet peeve is dishes in the sink. That is what seems to bring in the little roaches. And if i don't wash them, i atleast put them in the dishwasher. It just takes so long to get a full load. And i just try to make sure to run by little roller vacuum over the carpet if there are little pieces of stuff on it.
    Anonymous

• LOL...clean??? I haven't had REALLY clean in so long I wouldn't know what to do if I did have it! I keep the main areas of the house picked up and clean, but the rest of the house?!??! Forget it...I like to focus on my kids :)
    tandknix

Answer by tandknix at 4:31 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• I have 3 kids (6,3, and 10 months), so if I can do it, you can too! I clean in 15 minute intervals all day. Each day of the week I spend naptime (2 hours) deep cleaning one or 2 rooms. (Monday bathrooms, Tuesday kids rooms, etc.) If my 3 year old wont take a nap (which he is usually pretty good at taking naps, but there is a day or 2 in the month were he flat out refuses.), I do my deep cleaning when everyone is asleep. Good luck!
    NoGirlsAllowed

Answer by NoGirlsAllowed at 5:31 PM on Jan. 5, 2009