My 8 mo. old still doesn't sleep through the night. Can anyone relate?

My 8mo. old daughter still does not sleep through the night. I'v been back to work since she was 3 mo. old and I'm exahusted! She has always woken up to eat during the night. Up until just a couple of months agao I was still breast feeding and sleeping next to her. Now she's in her own room and I give her water now, in hopes that that will turn her off to the idea of eatting during the night- no luck yet. Does anyone have any advice?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:37 PM on Dec. 31, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Are you feeding baby food? If not you should be...they need something a little more heavier than milk to keep them full throughout the night.

Also, something my pedi said, was that sometimes they wake up to eat out of habit, not because they are actually hungry. So what I did with my daughter was if she woke up, I would give her less food (instead of a 6oz bottle, I gave 4. After 2 weeks of that, I started giving 2oz) and finally I could just go in and give her back her pacifier and she would go back to sleep. She is now 7 1/2 months old, and sometimes she wakes up wanting her binkie, sometimes not.

Hope this helped!
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 12:41 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• Oh! Something else too, was that with her teething, sometimes she calls out in her sleep, but she isn't REALLY crying, so i don't need to get up. I wake up at EVERY sound, so I finally turned off the monitor. It has helped a lot, cause I was waking up when she was rolling over.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 12:42 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• She probably misses your warmth at night alone in her crib but she'll get over it. Water, while temporarily filling, goes through your system very quickly and then you have the issueof an overly wet diaper. Do you give her one last bottle/sippie of milk or formula before bedtime? This will stick with her longer than water and may keep her from waking because she's hungry or wet.

My best advice is stick with a routine, bottle/sippie right before bed, sleep in her own crib, and don't give in to crying (i.e. don't take her out of her crib and into your bed - this is teaching her that a few tears will get her what she wants.)  She'll pick up that this is how it's going to be from now on and she'll adapt.

Madge1428

Answer by Madge1428 at 12:45 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• My daughter will be 2 in 20 days and she doesnt sleep through the night, so dont feel bad..LOL.
    asholan_07

Answer by asholan_07 at 12:52 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• My kids are 6, 8, and 11. They are just now sleeping through the night. Good luck!
    3gymnastsmom

Answer by 3gymnastsmom at 12:58 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• My 8 month old will sleep for about 3 hours, so I can definatly relate. Try reading "the no cry sleep solution", I just finished it before my baby started teething and am hoping some of the techniques will work for us. Its not a quick fix, but it all seemed to make sense.
    _muffin_

Answer by _muffin_ at 1:07 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• I used the Magic Sleepsuit top help my baby sleep better and it works great
    Anonymous

• My 11 month old is still not sleeping through the night so I can relate. I'm exhausted! We are going to start to try the "do not remove from crib when crying" routine tonight and see how that does. I am going to make sure she is good and full before bed too. Every now and then she will sleep 7, 8 or 10 hours straight (but not very often) so I know that she can do it, just not sure what the magic combination is to get her to do it!
    Glendog

Answer by Glendog at 6:46 PM on Dec. 31, 2008