Is it bad to not have your period for 3 months after getting off BC?

I got off of my BC in October-had a short 3 day cycle and no period since and I took a test the beginning of Nov and the beginning of Dec. and then one yesterday that was a negative. Is it really a bad thing to not haveyour period or is my body just adjusting to not being on BC? I don't want to see the doctor is it's a common thing and just worrying about nothing.

brookelynn2609

Asked by brookelynn2609 at 12:41 PM on Dec. 31, 2008 in Trying to Conceive

• It depends on what kind of BC you were on...if it was something like the shot, then yes its normal, I had to wait 6 months before mine came back.

If it was something else that you normally had a period on (patch, pill, ring, etc.) and your tests are coming back negative, I would at least put a call into your doctor and ask if this is something to be worried about. They can give you a yes you need to come in, or a no its fine just wait it out.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 12:49 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• I went off the patch in April and didn't get a period until June. I would call the doctor if you don't get a period in January.
    mommytobrooke

Answer by mommytobrooke at 6:42 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• From experience, I was on the pill for only 5 months. After I stopped it, I did not have a period for 9 months. It not only depends on the birth control, but also on your body. Most doctors advise their patients to wait until they have missed a period 6 months after stopping birth control before calling it in as a problem.
    littlemrsmarcel

Answer by littlemrsmarcel at 4:52 PM on Jan. 1, 2009