how to make kids speak spanish

Hi, I have 2 children Stefanie 9 and Brandon 8. I would like to know if anybody knows how I can encourage them to speak spanish. When they where little I didn't teach them Spanish at all and I regret it. I know it is not late but I need to know if there is a way to help them to learn it.

Thank you,
Alistasia.

alistasia

Asked by alistasia at 12:58 PM on Dec. 31, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• You need to just teach them. You can't make them speak it though.
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 1:00 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• can i just ask why you want your kids to speak spanish really badly? is your family mexican?
    vadasmom

Answer by vadasmom at 1:02 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• There is this children's language program and I believe that it is called Wuzzy. You can probably google Spanish programs.
    micrespo

Answer by micrespo at 1:09 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• Start teaching them. Put aside time everyday to tutor them. Really the only way to "make" them learn is to only speak that language in your home. Kids that grow up bi-lingual have a parent int he home that speaks that language to them. my friend spoke both english and spanish to her 3 kids from birth, so they picked it all up. it is much harder when they are older.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 2:38 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• Tutor then in words
    Turn on DVDs and have the english with the spanish subtitles on, spanish audio with english subtitles, or spanish with spanish subtitles
    Get Spanish children's books of the library or buy them from Amazon
    Speak it to them if you know it! (I had a French teacher once who was from the Mid East, he said his wife spoke only English to the kids, he spoke Arabic to them, and when they were all together they spoke French as a family!)
    Put index cards all around the house on the objects in Spanish so they'll see it and learn it when they are using the actual items
    Anonymous

• if you speak spanish as well then talk to them in spanish, watch children's shows in spanish, expose them to relatives that don't speak english (actually try to ONLY SPEAK IN SPANISH )yourself. Its normal for kids at around that age to refuse to speak Spanish (even if they spoke it b/f english) just be persistant in using it yourself and exposing them to it. Sometimes I refuse to answer the kids unless they ask me in spanish (drives them nuts)
    If Spanish is offered in school have them take it or find somewhere/one that offers spanish classes so they are biliterate as well as bilingual -- they'll probably "hate' you for it now but LOVE you for it when they are older.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 3:13 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• 1:02 PM on Dec. 31, 2008 by: vadasmom can i just ask why you want your kids to speak spanish really badly? is your family mexican?

Okay Vada, I'm going to assume that this is an honest questions. 

1. there are MANY nationalities that speak spanish (more than those where english is the primary language)

2. any second or third or 4th language is a GREAT idea for anyone -- expands the brain, culture, and marketablity of that person

MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 3:19 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• 3. Spanish is a good 1st choice b/c
    a. there are a LARGE amount of Spanish speakers in our country
    b it is the most common language in the countries nearest to us
    c. it is one of the most common languages in the world and a beg. that can easily lead to the other Romance languages like French, Italian, etc.etc.etc
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 3:20 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• Responding to Answered at 2:19 PM on Dec. 31, 2008 by: MamiJaAyla

you know what i never said anythgin bad about and i dont think i was responding to YOUR question. But since you wanted to bring up the pro's about learning spanish ill bring up the number one con about it.
    1. you cant get a job in america no more with out being bilingual and im sick of it.
    vadasmom

Answer by vadasmom at 3:37 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• Answered at 2:20 PM on Dec. 31, 2008 by: MamiJaAyla
    it is the most common language in the countries nearest to us

um why would i drive my self to learn another language to accomodate other people that dont speak english? if i go to there country i certainly wouldnt expect them to learn english just for me
    vadasmom

Answer by vadasmom at 3:41 PM on Dec. 31, 2008