one of my kitties got ran over by a car a couple days ago...how long do you wait to adopt another one?

I have his sister left, and a baby on the way that should be here within the next 5 weeks or less... should I get another kitty? I dont want to get one so soon, and I want to see how my cat handles the loss and the new baby. What should I do

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:02 PM on Dec. 31, 2008 in Pets

• Animals don't really grieve like we do. If you want another, go get another. You would actually be doing a great service to adopt an animal. Don't wait!
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 1:04 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• When YOU are ready do it. LOL where are ya? I have kittens here about 11 weeks old. LOL I had to try!
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 1:06 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• pupmom - I'm sorry to say this, but you are absolutely wrong in your thinking.
    Anonymous - Animals DO grieve. They seem to grieve just like us, they may not grieve about SOME humans or animals, but those humans or animals close to them, that they interact with on a day to day basis, they will grieve openly. I would suggest getting another kitten after the little kitten is done grieving and after your baby is born. I'd give it about a couple weeks AFTER your baby is born. That way, when you bring in the new kitten, the kitten will already know that there are 3 (or 2 if you're single) major pack leaders in the home (you, your baby, DH). That way you wont have to introduce your baby as part of the pack, like you will with the little girl cat.
    cthorn14

Answer by cthorn14 at 1:14 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• Wait until your other kitty has adjusted to the baby. It would be best if the kitty doesn't have two major changes in its life so close together- She could protest by having litter box problems or using the bathroom around the house instead of the box. Something else to consider is that you will have your hands full in a few weeks and a new kitty might cause you extra stress. I am sorry to hear about the loss of your kitty.

Answer by Bmat at 11:45 AM on Jan. 1, 2009