Do you talk to your kids about smoking and drinking?

Do your kids do either and if they do how do you handle it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:42 AM on Sep. 12, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• I talk to my kids about smoking, they are still pretty young so I have no idea what we would do if they started smoking. I would be angry about it though. As for drinking, we will start talking about it in a few years when they are old enough to go out unsupervised. No need to harp on it before it is an issue.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 10:45 AM on Sep. 12, 2011

• My kids do not do either! They r smart and they have common sense. They know the dangers of both! They also know how drinking makes u stupid! My kids also know that they ruin your health!
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 10:46 AM on Sep. 12, 2011

• Of course I have spoken to all of my kids about both. I have two adult children who are smokers and I did tell them how lame it was to smoke but they are adults now. One of my adult kids does not drink, smoke and I think is even too scared not to wear a seatbelt lol. He is more like me.

Answer by gemgem at 11:04 AM on Sep. 12, 2011

• My oldest is only 5, but we have talked about both in the past. My DH is a recovered addict and alcoholism runs in both sides of our family, so both are big deals. We're both smokers (although I don't smoke while I'm nursing). We have always been honest with our children about where we stand on such subjects, what is and isn't okay and why. We do not believe that we should shield them from any of that, nor do we feel we should be trying to forbid it either. We believe in teaching facts and moderation. As they get older we will continue the subject and when they get to the teen years we plan to allow drinking in our home and discourage it outside, but we plan to use the Teen Alcohol contract with them as well. As for cigarettes, we teach them the dangers, and will let them decide for themselves. We won't be buying them, but we won't be forbidding it either.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:11 AM on Sep. 12, 2011

• we have not had any drinking conversations yet (kids are 1st grade and kindergarten) but they know soda as an adult beverage as caffeine is a chemical and their bodies aren't done growing yet. since me, hubby and both sets of grandparents are all 100% alcohol free (unless beer brats count) it just hasn't come up yet

smoking they see so we discuss it alot. we talk about how gross it smells, etc, and look at the price of cigarettes and think of how many candy bars, movie tickets, etc you could buy with it instead
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 11:34 AM on Sep. 12, 2011

• what!?! talking to my kids about common sense stuff?!?! are you crazy dont they have school for that?!? what are my tax dollars doing?! (ps im being satirical, my sons are too little but i will in a few years)
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 1:11 PM on Sep. 12, 2011

• Yes, of course I talk to them! They are only 9 and 11, and don't do either!

Answer by missanc at 1:14 PM on Sep. 12, 2011

• I talk to my kids about everything. I smoke unfortunately and they hate it and they are my big motivator to quit and they see exactly why they shouldn't do it but all I can do is educate them. They will make a choice one day
    jujubean1979200

Answer by jujubean1979200 at 4:25 PM on Sep. 12, 2011

• yes. as a christian/homeschool parent, i teach my kids about sex, love, violence, smoking and drinking. drinking is NOT wrong nor is it a sin, but abuse of alcohol is wrong, drunkeness is wrong and turning to the bottle is wrong. i've taught my son (9yrs old) this...smoking is not good for you, i've talked to them about that...my 4yr old 'pretends' she's smoking and i'll talk to her about it and tell her it's not good for her.
    HappyHmsklNapps

Answer by HappyHmsklNapps at 4:25 PM on Sep. 12, 2011

• My dad died at 51 of lung cancer a few months before my first child was born. We have always stressed the dangers of smoking. My oldest ended up smoking anyway. The other 2 did not. Sometimes you just can't get through to them even if you thought you did.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 5:46 PM on Sep. 12, 2011