• In the Spotlight:

Question for mommy's with home-schooling experience.

I am considering home schooling my 8 year old and 10 year old. The reason is not necessarily because of the school or their teachers. They are both good enough. What's making me consider home schooling is that not only do I think I can do a really good job, I also find it exhausting getting up early (after waking up all night with a 5 month old), making breakfast, packing lunches, loading a 2 year old and a 4 month old (in the cold), making sure that they have their back-packs, lunches, and signed papers, etc. Then I get home, unload, take care of the two little ones (baths, breakfast, etc.,) try to clean as much as possible, and then I have to leave to go pick them up again. It feels as if I don't have time to breathe. And they are really getting tired too. The problem is that I don't have any real experience with home schooling. Am I being foolish to think that it would be easier than all that?

bellasrose71008

Asked by bellasrose71008 at 1:07 PM on Dec. 31, 2008 in General Parenting

• I have thought about homeschooling my kids also. I think everyone is telling you it will be so stressful because they are still thinking in the mindset of public schools-that you sit down and you just do work. But I think many homeschooling families are of the mindset that life is a learning experience and children learn at their own pace. There are many things you can do with the little ones around. Put your baby in a sling while you guys go to a child friendly museum. If one of the older kids decides they like dinosuars, get movies and books about dinosaurs. Watch the movies with the 2YO running around and have your older kids read you all the books aloud. There doesn't need to be a set curriculum, just introduce things and your children will catch on. There are some groups on here for homeschool you should check out.
    TanyaR1024

Answer by TanyaR1024 at 5:56 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• Just to add: My kids really want to home school. I am pretty structured and they do listen to me. Also, I do have a bachelors degree in Psychology.
    bellasrose71008

Answer by bellasrose71008 at 1:09 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• I homeschool my 15yr old son. He really enjoys it. I would so some research first and then make a decision. Make sure you know the laws for your state.

www.hslda.com
    Southerncharmes

Answer by Southerncharmes at 1:11 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• i was homeschooled from 8th grade on... your crazy if you think its going to just be a walk in the park. its VERY stressful.. you will be the one teaching them one on one.. it only takes about 4 hours a day.. but you have TWO. ON TOP OF TAKING CARE OF a two yr old and 4 month old. its frustrating. i remember how iritating it used to get when my mom would watch my niece who was about one at the time... and her try to homeschool my little brother and i is 6 years younger than me. don't get me wrong i enjoyed being home with my mom and that time was amazing but i do regret not being in school also. it has its pros and cons. but make sure when you decide its the right decision because you don't want to have your kids bouncing back and forth (plus you'll have another two to homeschool once they get of age)
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 1:14 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• Anyone can homeschool -- you don't need a degree. I homeschool a 10 yr old, 6 yr old, & 5 yr old with a 2 yr old running the house.

HOWEVER, if you're looking into homeschooling because you think that will be easier than getting 2 off to school & caring for 2 younger ones --- you're way off base. It can be very stressful & very time-consuming. You have to consider the time you will have to spend with your older one throughout the day & what they younger ones will do during that time. It can be a juggling act.

Homeschooling is the right choice for us, but it's not for everyone. My suggestion is to research this semester & if you're still interested try some casual homeschooling over summer break to see how it will work out for you. G'luck!
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 1:27 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• I have a 5yo and i took him out of school for 4mo and he hated it, he screamed that he wanted his friends and no child could do without friends and socialising so i think that is what you take away from children by home-schooling them so i decided not to.

Mummytomore

Answer by Mummytomore at 3:31 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• as a teacher, and a mom, i cannot imagine homeschooling with little ones around because u cant ever give undivided attention and it requires that. i send my son to montessori, i think him being there and learning socially helps him even though i sorta home school him as i hope all moms are "working with" their children on the basics and things you share interests in... in curriculums (home school) that i have seen, the school day CAN be compressed into about 4 hours but that is working hard straight for 4 hours.... Calvert was that curriculum.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 4:09 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• It just blows me away when someone mentions":undivided" attention--like a child gets that in a classroom? And socialization--go walk the mall and see what kind they get in school. No thanks. I home educated my three through 12th grade--actually the younger one started going to the community college at 15. And he is the one that had the least amount but learned a lot just by being around with the older two. All three are VERY outgoing and most people can't believe they were home educated.

Ronnie80

Answer by Ronnie80 at 5:43 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• The oldest is working on her third degree, the middle one is in a supervisory position on his rig, and the younger one just graduated Airborne and heading to the Army Ranger program. He was offered the chance to apply at West Point due to his grades and scores. I loved it and none of the kids wished they had gone to school. They were very active. We never had the teen aged garbage and all three are best friends--with a lot of other friends:-)
    Ronnie80

• Given all of that--there are some pretty odd home educated kids---the opposite extreme of what you find in schools. There is a "stereo-type" on home schoolers that is hard to convince people otherwise. I have been told by others that my kids are truly an exception to what they have seen in other home educated kids. I believe it was because of all they were involved in. They hunted, worked cattle, raised cattle, showed animals, ski & snow board, played football, 4-H, horses, shooting sports and other sports and activities. They also listened to Rush Limbaugh at lunch:-) I encourage any parent wanting to home educate to involve them in life--not for the socialization with age mates, but to get out and interact with all ages. My kids were always comfortable around adults. And they were always "popular" among the kids they were around. So good luck--it is well worth the effort--BUT it is a lifestyle!!!!

Ronnie80

Answer by Ronnie80 at 5:50 PM on Dec. 31, 2008