Crawling

Has anyone ever seen the study that says if an infant doesn't crawl for long or at all they will have reading problems. My MIL says all the time that shes worried that if my son doesn't crawl for long he won't read . I simply do not believe this at all. I crawled for a month and then was walking and I am an amazing reader. Anybody have any proof or can show me the studies or is she just crazy like I think?

DessaG20

Asked by DessaG20 at 1:13 PM on Dec. 31, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I've never heard of it! Interesting though..
    MrsPilat

Answer by MrsPilat at 1:16 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• I don't believe that's true. My younger brother didn't start crawling at all and started walking late in life and he's an exceptional reader! I on the the other hand, crawled at 7 months and was walking by 7 1/2 months and had an extreme hard time reading when I was a kid. It all depends on the child, I don't think crawling has anything to do with it. Chances are she is just being paranoid like most Grandmas :-) I don't think you have anything to worry about!!!
    Missybby2886

Answer by Missybby2886 at 1:16 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• um, your mil is worried for nothing, that's silly... tell her stop worrying you with her comments like that. well, i know that my husband crawled for not even a month and went straight to walking and well..he's a rocket scientist...so, i must say, not crawling for long doesn't mean you're not going to be an excellent reader.
    GreekMama28

Answer by GreekMama28 at 1:17 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• HAHAHA...she's just as crazy as you think. There is really no right way to show that if your son doesnt crawl for long he won't read. What WILL help him read is that you take him to a library and have a lot of books at home for him to enjoy. The more you introduce books, the more likely that he will want and strive to read. :D
    cthorn14

Answer by cthorn14 at 1:17 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• That was debunked a LONG time ago.

Not to mention....I never crawled as a baby. I was reading far ahead of my classmates, and was working towards my MS in Mathematical and Analytical Statistics with a minor in Technical Communication.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 1:30 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• how would the two even be related?
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 1:51 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• Haha never heard this but it is just one of those many thing people say will happen. It has nothing to do with each other. You will hear many things like this after having kids, do not listen to them!! Even if it was true (but its not) there is nothing you could do about it anyway, a baby will always crawl and walk when they are ready. My son only crawled for 2 months before he started walking. And if you did not crawl long and you read good that also shows you it is not true! Do not listen to her!
    proudwifenmom06

Answer by proudwifenmom06 at 2:56 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• okay, NO not true. Crawling is an improtant developmental step and SKIPPING it can have/be a sign of some issues later on (NOT READING), more like coordination etc. but its not a super big deal and its a theory from the 70's (I've NEVER heard it realted to READING).
    I skipped crawling altoghter, my mom actually spent months teaching me how, and I could read on my own b/f 3.
    Every child has their own schedule, Ithink 1 month of crawling is jut fine.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 3:02 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• That's not true.. I started crawling at 6 months and i started walking at 10 months and i had reading issues...i have a learning disability were i can't understand what i am reading so it take me longer than others to obsorb info
    8firsttimemom8

Answer by 8firsttimemom8 at 4:13 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• There's no connection between not crawling and being a poor reader! I never crawled but, instead, went right to "cruising" (walking while holding onto furniture) at nine months before I walked and have no problems with reading. Also, one of my siblings who did crawl does have problems reading (hates it and does poorly at it)!

quinten

Answer by quinten at 10:58 AM on Jan. 2, 2009