Recurring Fevers

This last month, my 2 yr old daughter has had three very high fevers lasting three to four days each. One was really high followed by vomiting. I took her to the ER and the Dr. said she had a stomach virus. My question is why is she having this fevers so often and with no apparent symptoms, coughing, sneezing, nothing, and she is fine when the fevers occur, she will still play and run around, only at the highest will she just be tired and only want to lay down. Has any one else ever experienced this, if so what was the outcome?

DMEandV

Asked by DMEandV at 1:28 PM on Dec. 31, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Fever is not an illness. It is a symptom. Fever means the body is battling an infection, and is not always a bad thing. I would be concerned since it has lasted several days. How high is the fever? I *believe* anything under 101 is not considered an emergency and you should NOT be giving her fever reducers for it, as the body needs to fight the infection.

I am not a Dr
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 1:55 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• Ear Infections ALWAYS causes high fevers, have her ears checked. Even though she's not in pain or shows any signs, she can still have a Ear Infection.
    Anonymous

• We have been dealing with reccurent high fever (up to 106.7) for many months now. They come every 2 - 4 weeks. We are waiting for our appointment with a paed rheumatologist who specializes in these weird fever syndromes. We are also waiting for results from a huge amount of blood work (testing immunity levels etc)
    Have you researched PFAPA?
    Trust your gut...seek another answer if you are not happy with the ones you have been given.
    Anonymous

• To anyone that has a kid with fevers that come on a regular time period last for the same amount of days and have no other symptoms please research Periodic Fever Syndromes or PFAPA. Fevers every 3-6 weeks. Fevers lasting 3-5 days. Hard to break fever with Tylenol.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:45 PM on Aug. 10, 2009