my anxiety is making it hard on my family!

i am about 19wks preg. and i think I knew i had anxiety/depression B4. i don't want to be around other people or even talk on the phone, i start to sweat (gross) even in walmart! not to mention my temper is short and i'm overly excited constantly! Is this affecting my baby and what should i do? I don't want my family or myself to suffer any longer!

mccullough08

Asked by mccullough08 at 1:29 PM on Dec. 31, 2008 in Pregnancy

• stress causes stress on the baby yes. if you're overwhelmed like that it could put you into preterm labor. i got really nervous and upset about something when i was 32.5 weeks pregnant and had contractions 2 minutes apart and went to labor and delivery and said i was going into active labor, they gave me a shot to stop the contractions and i was put on bed rest with blood pressure medication for 2 weeks. and then i was 40.3 weeks pregnant when I needed a shot to start my labor. so yeah, try to relax. i know it's easier said than done. take care of yourself and your baby. good luck and happy new year!
    GreekMama28

Answer by GreekMama28 at 1:33 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• You need to do your best to calm down. Talk with your doctor. You may need to be medicated. There are safe medications for your situation. The best thing you can do is to communicate with your health care professionals, and be honest. They can't help if they don't know what is going on. Blessings.
    Scimecamommy

Answer by Scimecamommy at 1:35 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• Talk to your doc about meds afe for pregnancy. I have both panic disorder and depression and there is no reason to suffer when there is so much help out there. Good luck.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 1:36 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• well i think if u had it before and it got untreated just got worse because of your hormones, but i guess you should try talking to a counselor and see where that anxiety and depression is coming from! maybe you could have someone pray for you so you get peace, i dont know if you believe in prayer but trust me it works. see i had anxiety about my past and couldnt sleep but someone prayed for me and now its gone :D
    Anonymous

• I try to stay away from sugary foods that helps a lot. I noticed if I had pop, candy or donuts it would be worse
    lisacieslak

Answer by lisacieslak at 1:42 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• i'm not saying stress wont effect your baby but its not a huge deal. i was SEVERELY Anxious my whole pregnancy to the point of insanity and decided not to take meds. Its just a hormonal thing but i would recommend meds after to prevent postpartum because i had it bad and the doc said i was at a higher risk because i suffered form anxiety during my pregnancy. I delivered a very healthy happy baby who is care free and sweet. Dont get hung up on what some say it will just make you stress worse. If you need to talk to anyone let me kno =D Good Luck!!!
    CaityMarie

Answer by CaityMarie at 2:18 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• thank you all so very much for the advice! i will be talking to my Doctor. have a great new years everyone!
    mccullough08

Answer by mccullough08 at 5:42 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• I had anxiety thru my past year preg (afraid I'd lose her), but I controlled it, if that makes sense. I have borderline depression-I am easily depressed by things. I have never been treated w/meds or even consultation. I talk myself thru it and write things down. The most important thing to do is remember life is short and enjoy every day knowing tomorrow is a new day. Eat good things, do things that make you content, even for short while, distract yourself w/good ideas; some form of meditation be it prayer, exercise, quiet games/hobby etc. Good luck.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:17 AM on Jan. 1, 2009