When do you switch carseats?

I heard it was either 25lbs or when their feet hang over the edges...Gauge is only 5months but he has long legs and weighs 17lbs...When did you change your carseat to the convertable one?

MommaWoods

Asked by MommaWoods at 1:36 PM on Dec. 31, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Mine all went into a convertible at about 4 months. (convertibles can be rear facing, too ladies)

You can put them in a convertible seat (rear facing) at any point. My youngest never even used a carrier, he went right into a convertible seat.

Just because you can't use the carrier as a carseat any longer, it can still be used for shopping or sitting or whatever....

As for the limitations, you should read the manual with your particular carrier. There is a set weight and length limit on most. For some it will say as long as there is one inch of shell above the head it's still okay to use. (mine had a set height limit and I don't remember what it was...the inch of shell rule did not apply to our brand...and I checked with the manufacturer)

We had good luck with the Alpha Omega seats....
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 2:49 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• i changed when i thought my arm was gonna break off.. which was around 4-5 months
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 1:38 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• oh you wanna make sure he can sit up on his own so that when you need to go grocery shopping he can sit in the cart since you won't be able to put his carrier in there anymore
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 1:39 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• I changed until my son was a year old. There is some info on the car seat box, make sure to read it before you change the car seat, but I believe that your baby is to young to be on a toddler car seat because of his head. It's still very sensitive.
    jcampos

Answer by jcampos at 1:39 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• Shoot, I thought my arm would break 2lbs ago! Which convertable carseat would be good for him since he's younger?
    MommaWoods

Answer by MommaWoods at 1:40 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• 22 lbs. AND 1 year old. My kids never make the weight requirement by 1 so they stay rear-facing for a while.
    KerriS

Answer by KerriS at 1:44 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• I put my oldest into a convertible one when we flipped him to front facing at 11mths.
    With my middle boy it was the same only he was around 18mths when we did it.
    With this last child he went into the convertible at about 5-6mths I believe it was and he'll be rear facing til he hits a year.
    BonesDragonDew

Answer by BonesDragonDew at 1:48 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• I switched DD to a convertable very shortly before her first bday because we were in a car accident, and had to get a new one. Had I been able to keep the original carseat, she would have remained in it until she hit the weight limit. I do want to mention that she is now in a rear facing convertable carseat at 14 months. Legally, I am able to turn her around, but choose not to do so. Your child is 80-90% more likely to be injured in an accident when front facing. Rear facing is the safest position--even for you and I!!! Please research before you turn your child around!!!!!!!!!!!
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 1:50 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• I used the convertible car seat from day one. I love the Britax ones!! The Britax Marathon is great because you can keep your child in it a really long time (I kept mine in a 5 pt harness until they were 6 yrs old, and my kids are really tall). Keep him rear facing as long as possible, and these larger convertible seats are great for that!
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 2:04 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• Depends on your state laws and your parenting style. In my state a child has to be 20 lbs and 1 year old to go front facing in a regular toddler seat. They have to be 4 and 40 lbs to go to a booster. They have to be 4 ft 9 or 80 lbs and 8 years old to just sit on the seat with a seat blet.

Personally I choose to keep my kids in a seat with a 5 point harness until they dont fit in it anymore. They are currently 4 year/35 lbs and 2.5 years/34 lbs. They will both be in the 5-point harness until I can't fasten it anymore at it's loosest setting.
    NorahSethsMommy

Answer by NorahSethsMommy at 2:27 PM on Dec. 31, 2008