Potty training with speech delay?

My daughter is a little over 2 and speaks very little. she has an expressive speech delay. she basicallly chooses not to speak rather than she can't speak. my question is does anyone have advice about potty training a 2 yo that doesn't speak, how did it differ than with your child that does speak? i ask because so many kids say potty or poo or pee but my little DD doesn't...

KEHMom

Asked by KEHMom at 1:44 PM on Dec. 31, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My boys are 22 months and don't care to use words unless the situation suits them.  I just leave our potties out in the open so they can access them when the need arises.  Overall we are doing pretty good.  Have you considered teaching your daughter some basic baby/toddler signs (sign language)? The sign for "Potty" is very easy & might help your daughter notify you when she needs to go.  Good luck!

twinnmom222

Answer by twinnmom222 at 2:30 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• I think it's more physical signs that speech , take her cues and follow her lead - can you tell when she pees or poops? Take her at that time, even if she is finished , you can change her diaper and wash hands and make a show of doing that in the bathroom.
    I assume she understands you well and can respond to Let's go to the bathroom by following you down the hall ... ? If she can do that be consistant , ask her to come to the washroom at specific intervals (say every 30 minutes), eventually she will get it and signal you its time to go .
    Meshell7

Answer by Meshell7 at 1:52 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• Teach her the ASL sign for "toilet".

Make a fist with your hand. Now, move your thumb to be between the first two fingers. (kind of a "i've got your nose" kind of thing). Wiggle it back and forth. It's the "T" hand and shaking it make sit "toilet".
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 4:14 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• I really don't think it makes a difference- I started with my DD1 when she was about 15 months old, and she was completely out of diapers by 18 months.. She was speaking, of course, but it's not like she came up to me and said "I need to go pee now".. It was a matter of asking her and reminding her over and over again, and if she absolutely didn't need to, she'd tell me "no", finally getting sick of my asking..

If you really feel you need a communication device, use PECS..
    Liyoness

Answer by Liyoness at 6:50 PM on Dec. 31, 2008