Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What do you think? Be nice please! THANKS EVERYBODY!!

Any suggestions? My sister-in-law is 36 yrs, and been trying to get pregnant for about 6-12 months now. She has one son who is 18 yrs old, they want to have a baby but no luck, and they are afraid that she can't concive, my brother got all the testing thing and he can have babies with no problem..... what do you think it could be? Any suggested treatments (not so expencive?) not so much money. Thanks, I really want to help them, but don't know how, and with the news that I'm pregnant I kind of saw her a little bit sad, but pretended she was fine. Thanks!!

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 2:01 PM on Dec. 31, 2008 in Trying to Conceive

Answers (6)
  • Well after about 18 mths to 2 yrs they can go to a dr and see if there are any other issues. I personally believe if you are meant to have a child then you will, if not then you wont. She should just try buying ovulation kits and things like that and see if that works and leave the rest in Gods hands.

    Answer by gemgem at 2:03 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

  • Oh, and one more thing, her son is from a different relatioship

    Answer by Anonymous at 2:03 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

  • Give her your baby. OMG please dont take that seriously, I am only joking. Best of luck to your sister. **Baby Dust**

    Answer by Anonymous at 2:47 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

  • Since she's been actively trying for 6 - 12 months and she's over 35, she should go to her OB pronto. The doctor can run tests and see if anything obvious comes up. If there is no obvious problem, her doctor might prescribe Clomid, which is pretty cheap in the world of fertility drugs. If that doesn't do the trick she might need to visit with a fertility specialist (high dollar treatments like invitro are not the only treatments that a fertility specialist has to offer). Assuming she has health insurance, testing for fertility problems is usually at least partially covered, though treatments may not be covered.

    Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 3:08 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

  • Continued -

    There are also some over the counter and natural fertility supplements available, though I don't know how successful they are. These are all things she can do, but she probably doesn't want to hear any of this from you right now (sorry, but that's just the way it is). You can offer advice IF she asks, and be there if she wants to talk. Whatever you do, DON'T ask her to host your baby shower (yes, that happened to me and it really sucked).

    Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 3:08 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

  • firstly, not everyone who should have children CAN. secondly, not everyone who can have children SHOULD (druggy moms, abusive parents, etc.). Also, there are dozens of options out there. Her age is of definite source for her trying and not conceiving. I agree with OP, she should try either ovulation kits and basal temps but seeing her OB to determine her fertility status is probably high on the list. If she is 100% cleared, there are still fertility procedures to help improve her odds. She has so much out there available to her. Tell her not to give up yet. You being pregnant could be a source of determination for her if you keep her hopes boosted. We always need someone in our corner and maybe living vicariously through you at the moment will help ease her discomfort. Good luck to her! *Lots of baby dust*

    Answer by FoxyRoxyMommy at 12:55 AM on Jan. 1, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.