Is everyone prejudice in some way?

Do you think that in some way everyone is prejudice weather it's toward race, gender, or age?
Because I do even I myself will admit that I can be a sexist and a racist. Why do you think that is???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:17 PM on Jul. 15, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• I think there is a fine line between predjudice and opinionated. Its all in how people interpret things. I can say 90% of all crime is comitted by african-americans. Some will say yeah I remember reading that one time but I hear its starting to even out and go on about their bussiness. Others will immediately label me a racist. Never knowing I have black friends, a black nephew in law, and a biracial niece due any day. It is all in the interpretation.
    countrymom

Answer by countrymom at 4:18 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• Yes, I think that everyone is in one way or another.
    jaschem

Answer by jaschem at 2:29 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• I dont think that everyone is. I dont pre judge.
    Anonymous

• I think that all people have beliefs or prejudicies either based upon what has been taught to them by family/ friends or through experience in their own lives..
    I think some people work hard not to let prejudice take them over, while others experience it much more seriously..
    Anonymous

• I think that is all goes back to the way we were raised, and the people we choice to be around that cause use to act one way or another depending on the subject.
    Sassy365

Answer by Sassy365 at 3:06 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• I think we all do. I strive to not ever judge people based on their religion, race, etc. But sometimes I find I judge based on physical appearance (not color of skin but clothing styles, hygiene, etc). And sometimes I judge by income levels which is wrong. We all have some prejudices that were shaped by our life experiences.
    seakla

Answer by seakla at 4:19 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• We definately all pre-judge, and judge after knowing people, too in small ways! When we see people making choices we don't think they should, are quiet/ shy or outspoken, are married or not, attend church or don't, are health concious or not...We have an opinion.
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 5:07 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• Yes, but those of us who wish to attain a better understanding or a create a better world learn to let go of their prejudices. The reason is because social norms are a powerful thing. They are hard to let go of, even when they no longer really make sense to us. And because they are extremely complex issues.
    nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 5:58 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• I think everyone has preconceived ideas about people, even if it has nothing to do with race. It could be a notion that someone who lives in a rich neighborhood will automatically be a snob or that a SAHM is lazy. I'm from the South and I live currently in PA and sometimes when people meet me they automatically assume I'm a racist, because racism is allegedly more prominent in the South.( Side note, I've met just as many racists up here as I did down there) I'm not racist, I don't care what color a person is, we all have the same red blood don't we?

My point is that we all have preconceived ideas about people, whether we want to admit it or not. It turns into a prejudice, I believe, when we let those ideas take over our minds and use it for an excuse not to be nice to someone. I hope I made sense, but probably not!! LOL!!
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 6:27 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• I do believe everyone has bias.
    Gotoyourmoms

Answer by Gotoyourmoms at 9:14 PM on Jul. 15, 2008