Taking a diamond earring and putting it in a ring?

A good while back I lost one of two 1/4c diamonds (totaling 1/2c). One I know for sure is long gone, lost it on vacation. Well I just found the other one.

I want to have it set as a right hand ring with sapphires around it. It's a princess cut.

Any ideas on where to start? I don't even know what to look for on the web. Do some jewelers do this type of thing? I know it's done... just not sure where to look.

amandae21

Asked by amandae21 at 2:11 PM on Dec. 31, 2008 in Shopping

• Take it to a jewlery store most of them have jewelers who know how to do it.

Answer by gemgem at 2:16 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• yes , go and see a jewellers and they will put you in the right direction ,I think the ones that make their own jewellry are the ones to pick ,the normal high street ones just sell the merchandise there is no real love in it ,if you know what I mean .My auntie had a ring made up from some of her old jewellery as well ,but we are in england .
    loulou332

Answer by loulou332 at 2:19 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• I've done this before...I took my grandmother's old, broken engagement ring that she left me and had a jeweler remove the stone and set it into a heart-shaped necklace pendant...it turned out BEAUTIFULLY.

Find yourself a local jeweler...not a jewelry *dealer* (no chain stores, Jarrods, Tiffanys, etc etc), since they may not do it or they may charge you out the butthole to take care of it...but ask around in your town/family and see if anyone knows a local jeweler to take it to. Usually they will let you pick out the ring/necklace/whatever that you want it put in, then they'll do a little consultation about how you want it to look. The labor to re-set the stone is very inexpensive at the right place.
    Good luck!
    nuclear_sugar

Answer by nuclear_sugar at 4:36 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• If it's only a 1/4 c, it would probably be cheaper to just buy a ring like you want, ready made. Custom pieces are not cheap to make up---unless the rock is really valuabe, but that's not a big enough rock that they'd want to bother messing with, sorry.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:55 AM on Jan. 12, 2009