I had asked a couple questions yesterday regarding bad breath and my toddler. well now i have a new question..SICK?. PLEASE ANSWER.

I started noticing about a week and a half ago that my DD (2 1/2) has started to hae stinky breath. My mom suggested maybe it was due to her falling and hitting her tooth and maybe it is rotting. but that was about 3-4 months ago and the tooth is a BIT grey but nothing REALLY noticeable.

my dd has had a lowgrade fever for about a week. it mainly comes and goes. mostly at night, but yesterday and today it has been consistent. Nothing OVER 100.7 EVER though. She was acting normal. Right now she is on my lap with her head on me but i think she may just be sleepy. She has had stinky breathe for a bit but Then today when i picked up my DD from her gmas, the odor is radiating from her. When she opens her mouth its VER noticeable even if her head is just next to yours and not blowing it in your face.

My mom thinks i need to take her to the Dr and now im beginning to think i should as well. We have no insurance for her right now, however if i need to take her of course i will

i guess im just trying to figure out what this could be, or if anyone has experienced this?

She brushes her teeth 2 times a day, morning and night, we have tried different toothpastes but even 2 hours after we brush her teeth, the smell is pretty bad.
her diet is normal, hasnt changed, nothing new or odd to her.

any input? anything you THINK it could be? or cause it? just seems weird that shes had a fever while this happens. I know sometimes ppls breath smells from being sick but this is a smell ive never smelled from a sick person.

any advice regarding what it could be. Thank you!

MomNbabyGirl009

Asked by MomNbabyGirl009 at 8:31 PM on Sep. 12, 2011 in Kids' Health

• the best time to go to the dentist for the first time for any child is when they sprout their first tooth or so... and every 6 months after... that will help catch any and all problems, and prevent many as well
    flowersmama

Answer by flowersmama at 8:38 PM on Sep. 12, 2011

• sometimes a post-nasal drip into the back of the throat or a sinus infection could cause it. If her fever continues, it would be worth taking her to the doc.
    mdrgator10

Answer by mdrgator10 at 8:38 PM on Sep. 12, 2011

• also rotting teeth are infections, and if infections get into the blood stream at any age can be devastating and even fatal
    flowersmama

Answer by flowersmama at 8:39 PM on Sep. 12, 2011

• Also check her nose with a flashlight. sometimes the little ones like to experiment with putting food up there. might be a little particle of food in there.
    mdrgator10

Answer by mdrgator10 at 8:40 PM on Sep. 12, 2011

• i dont know if her tooth is rotting, the only sign it shows is a SLIGHT gray look. and i know a dentist appt is best to keep up on flowersmama, but like i said we dont have insurance for her and what i did in the past has nothing to do with now. im wondering what it could be now. ill def look to see if she put something in her nose.
    MomNbabyGirl009

Comment by MomNbabyGirl009 (original poster) at 8:44 PM on Sep. 12, 2011

• Does it smell like anything in particular? Garlic,fruity,celery,baked bread,vinegar?

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 8:51 PM on Sep. 12, 2011

• smells old and gross. nothing like u said above. it smells like when someone is sick and that hae that sick odor to them sometimes, but this is probably like 12 x's worse than that.
    MomNbabyGirl009

Comment by MomNbabyGirl009 (original poster) at 8:53 PM on Sep. 12, 2011

• You should be able to see a dentist at your local health department and while you are there you can see if she qualifies for State medical. In most states it is very easy for children to qualify for state medical with very low premiums and little or no deductibles/co-pays.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:54 PM on Sep. 12, 2011

• My guess would be the postnasal drip/sinus infection
    See if the smell comes from her nose as well. Lean in when she's sleeping and sniff

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 8:55 PM on Sep. 12, 2011

• it does come from her nose and mouth, not her ears so its not in her HEAD more like nasal/breathing cavity. I looked in her nose and saw nothing.
    MomNbabyGirl009

Comment by MomNbabyGirl009 (original poster) at 8:57 PM on Sep. 12, 2011