Help all my 6 week old baby wants to do is eat. Its like she isn't being satisfied.

This is my 3rd baby. But she will be 6 weeks tomorrow. She was 8.6 at birth, but lost weight and gained it back so she is only at 9 pounds and 8 ounces. She was 21 in a half inches at birth and is a little over 22 inches now. But the thing is since last week all she wants to do is eat. She seems like she isn't being satisfied. She was waking me up every 2 and a half hours on the dot in the middle of the night. But someone told me to add cereal before bed which I thought so I did (please no bashing it didn't bother her) but she was like 3 weeks when I started the cereal at bedtime. Well now that she is starting to want to eat all the time today I started giving her the cereal in the morning. But the thing is she is still wanting to eat. The cereal bottle will last her 3 hours, but then when I don't give her that she is eating or wanting to eat every half hour. The dr told me to wait at least every 3 hours to feed her. But she will scream like she is starving so I feed her. She eats 4 oz at a time wont eat more than that. Help what can I do. I feel like I am sitting and feeding her litterly all day and I have 2 other kids I need to attend too. She doesn't spit up so she isn't over eating. Help,

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:05 PM on Sep. 12, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Wow. Here is yet another argument in favor of breastfeeding. You can't overfeed a breastfed baby. Don't know what to tell you, but if I was in your position, I'd listen to my baby and my instincts over the doctor. Just mind you're not giving entirely too much. Watch her weight carefully.
    Judi287

Answer by Judi287 at 10:07 PM on Sep. 12, 2011

• u can put just a tad bit of baby cereal in her bottles but make it til where it still passes through nipple .G.L. momma she might even sleep a lil better too
    boo_01

Answer by boo_01 at 10:10 PM on Sep. 12, 2011

• I am formula feeding
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:10 PM on Sep. 12, 2011

• Pumping milk and storing it really helped me. Babies go through stages of this where they are eating more..it will slow down
    sweet_emma

Answer by sweet_emma at 10:11 PM on Sep. 12, 2011

• My dd is 4 weeks old and will drink like 8 Oz so i started to add oatmeal to her milk aswell...if she is hungry feed her! you know your baby better than anyone!
    lil_momma_vdv

Answer by lil_momma_vdv at 10:17 PM on Sep. 12, 2011

• 6 weeks old is a common time for a growth spurt. Even FF babies will want to 'cluster feed' during those times. The reason for this behavior is to prompt the mother to produce more milk to keep up with the infant's growing demands. Instinct doesn't die easily.

Cereal in the bottle isn't a good idea unless recommended by your child's ped - and that's generally only in cases of reflux. The reason is not that it will upset their tummy; it's because they could aspirate it and that would cause pulmonary problems.
    xtwistedxlovex

Answer by xtwistedxlovex at 10:30 PM on Sep. 12, 2011

• Wow. Take a four ounce measuring cup and put it next to your baby. That is how much you are putting in her tummy at one time. Too much. My daughter NEVER took more than 3 ounces (expressed breastmilk) at a time from 3 months until 12 months.

Your baby wants COMFORT, not food. That you mention you are harried due to having two other kids to take care of makes this more likely true. Get a sling, wear baby...

Babies cry for other reasons than food. And, just because she is not spitting up doesn't mean you are not overfeeding her.
    Mom_to_Skyler

Answer by Mom_to_Skyler at 10:34 PM on Sep. 12, 2011

• You might not be able to overfeed, but many still have to supplement breast feeding. Nevertheless, OP, you can't do anything but feed her. She's only 6 weeks old and it may be a while before she goes longer than 2-3 hours, because her tummy isn't as big as her appetite. Give it time and she'll even out. Take naps during the day when she does if you can. Just remember, "This too shall pass." GL!
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 11:06 PM on Sep. 12, 2011

• Why does everyone have the idea that OP is breast feeding when she stated that she is NOT?
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 11:10 PM on Sep. 12, 2011

• Mom_to_Skyler

first off if she is eating 4 oz I don't see a problem in giving her 4oz at a time. What am I supose to do? Give her 2-3 oz and tell her that is all you get and let her be hungry? I can't have a sibling wear the baby they are to young. My oldest is 6 and my middle is 3 and a half. She is eating it so which means oviosualy she is hungry
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:53 AM on Sep. 13, 2011