Vaccine for rotovirus (intestinal bugs)

So today at the doctors office my 3 month old was offered a new vaccine for rotovirus or the stomach flu - apparently its effective from 3 months-5 years in preventing stomach type bugs .
I haven't made a decision yet , has anyone gotten this for their children ? experiences , thoughts?

Meshell7

Asked by Meshell7 at 2:48 PM on Dec. 31, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• We see TONS if babies in the hospital every winter for dehydration due to Rotavirus... sometimes staying for a week! I think it's worth it for young children. Although, the vaccine doesn't give 100% protection against Rota it will lessen how bad it is if they do get it... hopefully keeping you out of the hospital.
    And it's only for the Rotavirus, not all stomach flu bugs
    The vaccine is something they squirt in their mouth, not a shot. (unless there is another kind I don't know about)
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 3:02 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• my ds spent his first easter in the hospital because of the roto virus so I would get it for this baby . It was horrible watching him suffer thru that. did they say the side effects?
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 2:49 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• No he didn't mention any , I am going to call and ask friday when the office re-opens .
    Meshell7

Answer by Meshell7 at 2:51 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• yes, no reaction to it. u know u don't have to get the vaccination shots right at the beginning, you can spread them out over time.
    GreekMama28

Answer by GreekMama28 at 2:51 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• Please thoroughly research ALL vaccinations before you decide on what ones to give your child.
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 2:54 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• I am a huge advocate for delayed vaccination , and do delay my kids , but this one is new to Canada I think so none of my children have had it yet and wondered about reactions etc .
    Meshell7

Answer by Meshell7 at 2:55 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• nope ill never inject that crap into my baby sorry.
    Anonymous

• My son had roto over his First birthday. He wasn't able to get it because it before because it was new then and our doctor wasn't getting his first shipment in until after he was able to get it. I made sure my daughter got it. It's a nasty bug. My daughter didn't have any reaction to it, neither of my kids have had anything more than fussiness.
    jms124

Answer by jms124 at 3:01 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• did the children survive the rotovirus? yes. so then why get the shot? you can still get the virus? come on ladies!
    Anonymous

• Oh, I forgot to add, we got this 2 times so far when he has gone in for his other shots... no side effects noted. He likes it... slurps it right down
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 3:03 PM on Dec. 31, 2008