My son swallowed a penny?

My 2 year old son always wants to put money into his piggy bank so I was getting all of my loose change and told him to come on. Well by the time we got to the bottom of the stairs and to the piggy bank, he started throwing up. He dropped all of the pennies on the floor, right under where he threw up and I asked him if he put the penny into his mouth. He said yeah but will not tell me if he swallowed it or not. Should I take him to the dr? My mom told me to wait and he will pass it if he did, but he was acting normal until he just threw up again? What should I do?

Daniela1187

Asked by Daniela1187 at 2:52 PM on Dec. 31, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• id wait until it passed.

but he keeps throwing up, so i would take him. just to make sure everything is fine.

KelsoBabeyy

Answer by KelsoBabeyy at 2:54 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• Ditto kelsobabeyy. He should pass it, but take him in if he keeps throwing up.
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 2:55 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• take him, because he is throwing up it may have gotten stuck or he may have an allergy. My ds did this w/a nickle, we went to the er and we could see it. He was fine and it passed. They need to xray to make sure it is going in the right direction. also 2 days after the nickle ds swallowed a dang quarter and we just watched his poop that time. But the throwing up may mean something...better safe than sorry.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 3:02 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• I would at least call your dr. right now and see what they say ...I wouldn't wait.
    MrsPilat

Answer by MrsPilat at 3:13 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• I would go to dr cause it could be stuck like bearsjen says. my daughter a month before she turned 3 swallowed a magnet the size of a quarter. so i never take the risk anymore justr call them see what they say
    mom2girls82

Answer by mom2girls82 at 5:30 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• Why would you even hesitate to call the doctor, the one who would know better than a bunch of strangers on a message board?

Here is a link for you to read about the dangers of swallowing a penny...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Efforts_to_eliminate_the_penny_in_the_United_States
    pamkay414

Answer by pamkay414 at 6:10 PM on Dec. 31, 2008