Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My son swallowed a penny?

My 2 year old son always wants to put money into his piggy bank so I was getting all of my loose change and told him to come on. Well by the time we got to the bottom of the stairs and to the piggy bank, he started throwing up. He dropped all of the pennies on the floor, right under where he threw up and I asked him if he put the penny into his mouth. He said yeah but will not tell me if he swallowed it or not. Should I take him to the dr? My mom told me to wait and he will pass it if he did, but he was acting normal until he just threw up again? What should I do?

Answer Question
 
Daniela1187

Asked by Daniela1187 at 2:52 PM on Dec. 31, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (6)
  • id wait until it passed.

    but he keeps throwing up, so i would take him. just to make sure everything is fine.

    KelsoBabeyy

    Answer by KelsoBabeyy at 2:54 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

  • Ditto kelsobabeyy. He should pass it, but take him in if he keeps throwing up.
    epoh

    Answer by epoh at 2:55 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

  • take him, because he is throwing up it may have gotten stuck or he may have an allergy. My ds did this w/a nickle, we went to the er and we could see it. He was fine and it passed. They need to xray to make sure it is going in the right direction. also 2 days after the nickle ds swallowed a dang quarter and we just watched his poop that time. But the throwing up may mean something...better safe than sorry.
    Bearsjen

    Answer by Bearsjen at 3:02 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

  • I would at least call your dr. right now and see what they say ...I wouldn't wait.
    MrsPilat

    Answer by MrsPilat at 3:13 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

  • I would go to dr cause it could be stuck like bearsjen says. my daughter a month before she turned 3 swallowed a magnet the size of a quarter. so i never take the risk anymore justr call them see what they say
    mom2girls82

    Answer by mom2girls82 at 5:30 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

  • Why would you even hesitate to call the doctor, the one who would know better than a bunch of strangers on a message board?

    Here is a link for you to read about the dangers of swallowing a penny...

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Efforts_to_eliminate_the_penny_in_the_United_States
    pamkay414

    Answer by pamkay414 at 6:10 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.

Next question in Toddlers (1-2)
Help

Next question overall (Just for Fun)
Jon and Kate plus 8

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN