How bad do contractions hurt/what do they feel like?

kylie_2008

Asked by kylie_2008 at 2:23 PM on Jul. 15, 2008 in Pregnancy

• They are very bad. They feel like nothing else really, but there is alot of pressure.
    desi0206

Answer by desi0206 at 2:32 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• They hurt. It isn't a pain you can describe. You'll know when you have one.
    CoolBeans

Answer by CoolBeans at 2:32 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• Well apparently, I was having some contractions in the hosptial and didn't even know it!
    sunshinepraying

Answer by sunshinepraying at 2:43 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• They feel like a cramp that never seems to peak, the intensity is more than you can imagine if you haven't been in labor. It encompasses your entire abdomen. Sometimes it radiates or you have intense pressure in your back. For me, the pressure in my pelvic floor was like a bowling ball shot out of a cannon through a hole the size of a golf ball! I guess that's a pretty good analogy when you think of it! Labors can be painless today for the most part. There's nothing like it though and I would do it again in a New York minute!
    manna1qd

Answer by manna1qd at 3:24 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• Labor pains hurt. It depends on if you have front labor or back labor. I had front labor. To try and get close to a labor pain feels like take your worst period cramp and mulitply it by 10. It is a lot of pressure but that is why they make the epidural for. It gets much better after that.
    Whimsikal

Answer by Whimsikal at 3:37 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• Labor pains when you are in hard labor are pretty bad but contractions when starting out I can discribe like this. they usually start in your back or in your stomach and increasingly get worse. Its like taking your finger lets say and sqeezing it harder and harder gradually until you can not anymore and then it realeases. If they were very light or when you were moving that's whey you didn't notice them. Hope this helps.
    GarlicMom

Answer by GarlicMom at 3:53 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• For me, contractions started out like period cramps but alittle more intense...then they get worse and worse and worse...with some pressure here and there, really hard to describe.
    maderacaligirl

Answer by maderacaligirl at 4:18 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• well, i was preg with twins.... and when i starting having contrations--i didn't even know it. I just felt like the babies were pushing on me or each other---a lot of pressure. Sometimes the pressure *not pain* would be really intense, and make my face flushed or even take my breath away--but i could easily handle it. And i learned how to recongnize cramps from baby pushes on the monitors. If you are questioning the difference--ask the dr to help you by maybe hooking you to the monitors??? Goodluck.
    jsks826

Answer by jsks826 at 4:37 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• They are horrible.. I never cried during them. I never cried during anything, but honestly, everyone is different. Your pain may be a lot different from anyone else.
    DementedPsyche

Answer by DementedPsyche at 4:39 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• Contractions feel like the worst menstrual pain X 10! You feel alot of pressure and mine actually weren't as bad once they let me push. But my pain tolerance is very high, in fact, I like pain so I was able to handle it pretty well.
    sdyeats2003

Answer by sdyeats2003 at 5:07 PM on Jul. 15, 2008