how old where your kids?

I watch this little girl who is six years old and does not know how to tie her shoes. I know before i went to school my parents taught me how to do this. But she is in the first grade and still does not know how. I have been trying to help her learn, but obviously her parents are not helping.

how old where your kids when they knew how to tie their shoes?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:05 PM on Dec. 31, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• my kids are too young yet, but I will tell you I was prob. around 2nd or 3rd grade, my lil bro (3 years yo8unger) figured it out b/f I did.
    Nowadays most shoes don't even have laces either so its not as much a priority as b/f.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 3:09 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• My 5yo learned at the age of 3.5 and my 3yr old has just about got it but the other three are still to young.
    Mummytomore

Answer by Mummytomore at 3:15 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• My 5 & 6 yr olds don't know yet either. They always want/get the strappy shoes. I think my oldest was 7 or 8 when he finally got it down.... when he started wearing more laced shoes.

It's no big deal to me. They'll learn when they learn.

But yeah, if they're going to buy her laced shoes, then she probable should learn how to re-tie them in case they come undone while playing.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 3:18 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• My DD was six when she learned. We had been practicing for a while, but when she was in kindergarten, her homework over the X-mas break was to learn how to tie.
    PnMMom

Answer by PnMMom at 4:49 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• My oldest was about 10. He has a skin condition and tying his shoes was very difficult for him. We never forced it until he started asking. My 2 younger children were about 5 or 6.

I think that for some people it is easier to do for their children instead of teaching them. If it is something that really bothers you, you could talk to her parents and see if they will start showing her.

Good Luck
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 5:44 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• MIne are older cause I have never been able to teach any of my children how to tie thier shoes! How the older kids can do it is beyond me. But I think the average age is probably around 4-7.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 5:53 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• They could all tie their shoes before they started school.
    Magpie75

Answer by Magpie75 at 6:28 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• I homeschool my kids so when they are preschool age I start teaching them their abc's shapes colors and how to tie their shoes so when they are about 4-5 o start teaching them.
    mommy51425

Answer by mommy51425 at 6:34 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• My daughter is 6 and she just learned to tie her shoes, and my son was 5. The problem is their school doesn't allow them to wear tie-up shoes until 2nd grade so they just have strappy shoes. My daughter finally learned so she could tie her roller skates, and once she really wanted to she learned very quickly.
    pbgibson

Answer by pbgibson at 7:49 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• My oldest learned at 6 in 1st grade but refuses to even try now. She doesn't have shoes with laces so it's never been a priority (she's 8 now). My 7yo son and 6yo daughter can't tie their shoes. My son needs to learn because his school shoes do have laces and I'm getting tired of tying them but he just can't figure it out. My 6yo...she doesn't have shoes with laces and probably won't figure out how to tie for awhile. She just figured out how to put her shoes on a couple years ago and just learned to button her blouse last month. She doesn't have the dexterity in her fingers to tie laces.
    Really since they don't have those with laces (other then my son's school shoes) I just don't think about it.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 10:04 PM on Dec. 31, 2008