water breaking

is it likely that ill go into labor in public? im so afraid of having my water break in public. does this happen alot?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:14 PM on Dec. 31, 2008 in Pregnancy

• sometimes it can happen sometimes it doesnt.
    Anonymous

• My doctor told me that in the majority of women, their water doesn't break and that the doctor has to do it. I went into labor and mine didn't break....

Nicole
    ncarver03

Answer by ncarver03 at 3:17 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• No, its not likely. Something like 80% of women have contractions first before their water breaks, so you'll have a heads up. My labor started with my water breaking but thats not the norm and I was in my house anyway!
    IsaiahsMommy515

Answer by IsaiahsMommy515 at 3:17 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• im just afraid because i was with my cousin camping and her water broke. i dont want something like that happening. she was weeks and weeks early.
    Anonymous

• haha that is one of my biggest fears too! ....With my first my water broke in bed...I didn't have any contractions prior...but once it broke they came fast and HURT!! ...I am scared it will happen in public with this little one!!
    MrsPilat

Answer by MrsPilat at 3:20 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• My water never broke completley, but it did leak when I went into labor. I wasn't even sure if it was my water or if I peed on myself. I put a pad on which worked fine (I kept leaking) and when I made it to the hospital the test confirmed it was amnionic fluid. I guess if you are really worried wear a pad if you are close to your due date. Don't stay at home worried though, giving birth is NOT like it is in the movies!!!
    mrsjoeljr

Answer by mrsjoeljr at 3:44 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• it wont necessarily break at all. mine has never broken on its own, the doctor has always had to do it for me.
    jcsmummy

Answer by jcsmummy at 4:21 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• I was terrified that mine would break in public...

But it didn't =] I had to be induced and the doctor broke it for me. It's a truly gross nasty yuck feeling though, it was one of the more annoying parts of my labor and delivery.

Not everyone's breaks on its own. Just be prepared for it if it does happen, but don't stress too much.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 4:28 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• Mine "broke" or actually started to leak while at work (but no contractions for 12 hours) but that is NOT the typical. The chances are that it won't happen and if it does... oh well I actually had a great time teasing one of the guys I worked with that was terrifies of everything "female" that he was going to have to deliver my baby (you should've seenhis faxce, he was afraid to even go all the way into the room where I was waiting for BD to pick me up)
    My second, contractions began HOURS b/f my water broke (and this time it was a gush).
    IMO, it's better just to go on with your life and that keep a serenity pad with you is a good idea (you could also keep your hospital bag in your car with you so you'll always be ready and not so nervousl
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 4:38 PM on Dec. 31, 2008