How do you figure out who to invite to a 5yr old b-day party?

My son is going to be turning 5 in March (yes I am planning ahead) he's in Pre-K and there are about 18 kids in his class. 6 are boys including him. I'm thinking of just inviting the kids of the mom's that stop and chat for a bit. I don't know 3 of the boys mom's. Should they be invited anyway?
Aidan also asked that his friends from our old neighborhood to come, they are 2 hrs away. These kids are not well behaved - little monsters w/ little to no respect for their parents or others, but Aidan loves them. Figures. I fear that if they come up Aidan will ignore the other kids and just play w/ them.

just1moment

Asked by just1moment at 3:19 PM on Dec. 31, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I'm not sure on how to answer the question on how many should be invited from class, but could you have his party with the classmates, then schedule a separate playdate with his old friends?
    scrapbookmylife

Answer by scrapbookmylife at 3:34 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• I would invite all of the boys from the class. Your son would want to at least be invited to their party whether you showed up or not. They might not even come but at least they were invited. I wouldn't invite the little monsters though especially if they have no respect for their parents and others. Maybe you could wait untill the day before and call them to invite them and hopefully they already have plans!
    delta27

Answer by delta27 at 3:37 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• I would invite EVERY CHILD in the pre-K class, not divide by sex. It will hurt the feelings of every child that did not get an invite, and let them decide whether or not to come. You never know you may end up meeting more moms and dads you can get along with.
    I'm not so sure about inviting the other chidren, on one hand I know your son wants them there on the other hand ..... You know he will prob. be so into playing with the rest of his friends that he'll totally forget about them anyways.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 4:01 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• Yeah I meant all of the kids from the class.
    delta27

Answer by delta27 at 4:05 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• I have always invited everyone, boys and girls, from the class. At that age the girls are just as hurt as the boys when they aren't included. As for the old neighborhood kids, you are the parent and it's your job to include or not include individuals you have seen as a negative influence on your child. Whether or not he wants them to come is irrelevant. Explain to him, if you want, that only children from his class will be invited as well as family and that's it. Once you have, he will accept it and you can play up the party itself and let him become more actively involved in it.
    tandknix

Answer by tandknix at 4:54 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• invite all the kids from his class, and invite the kids from the old neighborhood, if it two hours away , i doubt any will come, but you could tell him you tried
    bi-polarmommy

Answer by bi-polarmommy at 6:06 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• i would invite all the kids in the class..if ya dont want that many kids, then at least just ALLL the boys..my daughters in preschool, and i dont talk to the other moms there all that much, but just because i dont talk to them, and they dont talk to me, doesnt mean i wouldnt invite their child to my daughters bday party, and she still gets invited to all theirs too..guess we'll find out in april who comes to hers tho..lol
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 6:43 PM on Dec. 31, 2008