Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

no bashing/judgeing/bad feedback please..

I chose private adoption and my little one will be here in Feburary. My family is in another state. We were going to go there to have her but financially it may work out better here. What are the laws for this? Can they take baby home right away because it would be hard for me to take baby home then send her off so i was just wondering?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 3:20 PM on Dec. 31, 2008 in Adoption

Answers (18)
  • I would check out the laws, a lot of states require you to wait 72 hours before the baby is place with the Potential family in case you change your mind. Is there a reason they can't come to where you are for the birth of the child?

    Answer by TheDiva320 at 3:22 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

  • I don't know the laws for this but it would be alot easier for them to take the baby home right away instead of might end up falling in love with the baby and want to keep it if you do take it home.
    good luck

    Answer by Anonymous at 3:23 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

  • I would investigate this with your adoption company. My brother in law and sister in law adopted a little girl from Guatemala and they had to go and get her. It took 8 months from start to finish but I know there were alot of loopholes that they had to jump through before the end was near. Their adoption consultant worked closely with them and advised them every step of the way; you should start there and if you have no luck, contact an attorney for a free consultation for advice.
    Good luck to you and your new family!!!!

    Answer by Jerseymom1228 at 3:26 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

  • would it be that awful for her to fall in love with her own child & keep it?

    anyway, I had my baby in one state & the ppl who adopted her were from the state right next to us. They took her home the same day I left the hospital. She was 2 days old.

    Answer by Anonymous at 4:12 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

  • I believe they can take the baby home right away, but you do have a certain amount of time (depending on YOUR state) to change your mind. They should keep that in mind when leaving with her. If you choose to change your mind before the papers are signed, they will have to bring her back to you.

    Answer by Anonymous at 6:52 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

  • They can take her back to their hotel right away. You will have a certain amount of time (varies by state) to wait to sign away your rights. They will have to wait for ICPC (Interstate Compact for the Placement of Children) to pass the paperwork before they can leave the state with the baby. That is usually pretty quick in private adoptions.

    Answer by mommy9 at 6:59 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

  • I would suggest bonding with her as much as you can while in the hospital WITHOUT the prospective adoptive family even being close. Even if there is a revokation period, once they take her home, the ball will be in their court.

    Answer by Anonymous at 7:09 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

  • u r wonderful for making such a hard decision and giving a miracle to those who have the desire n means to be full time parents. anyone who bashes u is a wretch.

    Answer by Anonymous at 8:15 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

  • yes they can take the baby as soon as YOU are comfortable with it depending on your state laws, etc.

    Answer by babycakes254 at 8:31 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

  • If you are birth mom, and your potential adoptive family is in another state, then usually what happens is this: Birth mom signs papers before she leaves the hospital stating that you are relinquishing your child up for adoption (and can possibly state to whom, if it's an open adoption). It's up to the adopting family to make arrangements to come to you, and to complete the required paperwork necessary for the baby to be allowed to cross state lines. This is called ICPC and it's a term that has to do with the legalities of sending state, receiving state guidelines. The adoptive parents (or at least one parent) can not leave the state until both states have agreed on the adoptive procedure.

    Answer by Mom_of_7GEMS at 10:11 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.