muslim convert

Has anyone ever heard any GOOD things about islam? Its hard to be a religion that has so many negative images.

muslimmom

Asked by muslimmom at 2:32 PM on Jul. 15, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• Honestly, I don't know much about Islam. I know one woman who practices that religion. She is very nice to work with. Other than that, my impression is negative. I had one literal brush with an Iman in an airport and that is my only other personal experience. I hear what is in the news. I do not see the Muslims in my community being anything other than quiet and to themselves. I don't have exposure to how a community or family benefits. I think it would be helpful to hear some positive things about it from Muslim women. I would appreciate that.
    manna1qd

Answer by manna1qd at 3:20 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• I have read only one book about Islam, a non-fic book called Veil of Terror, by a woman who lived in the middle east (Betty Balsam). Unfortunately, it was not a very positive shedding of light onto Islam.

Most of the book talked about Islamic treatment of women and how that affected men, and the second half was about the history of Islam itself.

TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 5:02 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• Sorry, I can't help you either.

My experience involved neighbors 'sacrificing' animals in their front yard in full view of the whole neighborhood --- including children --- and then dumping body parts on the side of the roads within a mile radius or so.

Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 7:28 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• I know very few positive things about Islam. I read the Kite Runner and A Thousand Splendid Suns recently and what i drew from those stories is that Islam, like Christianity has a broad array of believers: from the very liberal to the very literal & conservative. However, during my entire life (30+ years) sensationalizing the negative aspects of Islam has been an American norm. I remember going to Disney World several times when I was little and seeing the Muslim women in their long black dresses showing only their eyes in 90+ heat and having to stay 10 steps behind their husbands. I thought that was sad - that's been my only exposure to Islam. Hopefully you can enlighten me
    Gotoyourmoms

Answer by Gotoyourmoms at 9:12 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• I sometimes wonder why muslim women are seen that way and a young girl with her body exposed is "normal" A true muslim women cover because she chooses to. I dont have to worry about being perfect or looking like this girl or that girl. Young girl in this country get eating disorders so young. See the truth is muslim women are happy. We cover and we get respect and think of it this way if you had a expensive jewel you would but it in a safe place, not show it to anyone. I feel so good that I cover myself I feel safe and I feel special.
    muslimmom

Answer by muslimmom at 9:33 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• Salam sister. I am so glad that you re-verted to Islam. i personally don't wear hijab but i do not expose my body. Islam has many good things. If you aren't already I urge you to join servants of Allah.
    rachelisamail

Answer by rachelisamail at 9:33 AM on Jul. 16, 2008

• Salam alakum sister so glad to see another sister on her. May Allah bless you and your family.
    muslimmom

Answer by muslimmom at 9:55 AM on Jul. 16, 2008

• Absolutly!!! My folks used to live in Saudi Arabia!!! I have a deep love of the Islamic Faith. I'm Mormon myself...it is a wonderful and peacful religion...it is a horrible shame that you have a couple f*ck-heads messing it up for all of you. And what a lot of people don't realize and are always shocked to here, is that THe Islamic Faith and Christianity have a lot of the same beliefs...including some of the same prophets...I don't get why people are so scared of it...
    Musical-Monkey

Answer by Musical-Monkey at 5:22 AM on Jul. 17, 2008

• I am a beliver in JESUS CHRIST and love all people as JESUS said to do I love them and they know about JESUS CHRIST but need to know HE died for them all and they don't have to die for there SIN JESUS has all ready done this for every one on the earth.    Listen to www.bbnradio.org   they have a free #  1800.888.7077 you can call or talk to the chat room on the www  .......you can study the bible hear free  and listen to it while you read  http://www.blueletterbible.org/index.html      your friend yovonna :)

yovonna

Answer by yovonna at 8:13 PM on Jul. 20, 2008

• I've been reading a lot and honestly Islam is just too rigid and has to many do this and don't do that things about it. I don't think God expects us to have to jump through so many hoops just to please him. I've also been studying Christianity and it's becoming more appealing to me. I'm drawn to the mercy and grace of God factor. The unconditional love. I had a really bad dream the other night, maybe because I've been thinking about it a lot lately, I don't know. But in my dream, I had these women that appeared to be Muslim on either side of me. They were trying to force a hijab onto my head and drag me into a Mosque. I was fighting them with everything I had. It was frightening. I woke up shaking. I'm not sure what it meant or what to think of it. I've been reading the Bible more and it's starting to make more sense to me than the Koran. I even tried listening online to it and it's just too confusing. The Bible is easier to read and understand.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:33 PM on Aug. 23, 2008