Should I just make his mom give me the money?

I babysit for my neighbor pretty regularly. Their 8 year old can be pretty destructive and irresponsible. Long story short, he broke some things inside and outside of my house over the period of one week totaling about $30. His mother, him, and I made a deal that he would shovel snow for me the next 3 times it snows to pay me back. The first time it snowed he did not shovel. He did tell me a couple days later--without prompting--that he was sorry he forgot. Well, here, it has been snowing for about 6 hours, and he still hasn't come over to shovel. I had to leave my 14 month old inside and go do it myself really quickly. Should I just make his mother pay me the $30? or what else could I do?

epoh

Asked by epoh at 3:49 PM on Dec. 31, 2008 in General Parenting

• I would just call his mom or him and say "I think my driveway (or whatever) could use a good shoveling, can he be here within an hour...half hour?"

Mom should remind him, but us mom's know how easy it is to get preoccupied at times.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 12:45 AM on Jan. 1, 2009

• why didn't you call her/him and remind him of the deal? I would first talk to her b/c since she helped broker the deal I think she'd be interested in him following thru
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 3:52 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• i would call your neighbor next time and tell hte mother or the chilld which ever answers to have him come shovel a deal is a deal otherwise he'll need to pay
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 3:52 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• I wouldn't be babysitting him anymore that's for sure
    Anonymous

• I think she should, he should know by now not to treat other people's homes with dis-respect and they should both follow up deals. You were kind enough to let this child stay in your home and take care of him and his mother obvouisly takes you for granted, so tell her that you don't like the fact that they did'nt keep there promise.
    Mummytomore

Answer by Mummytomore at 3:54 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• i agree with anon 3:53 if they don't make an attempt to "repay" in some form or fashion, I would not babysit until its paid. :) I wouldn't make a federal case of it, just remind him that you are needing the snow shoveled, and .."...I thot you might take this opportunity."
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 3:56 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• I would just ask her for the $ because at 8 yrs. old, he should know better but maybe not b/c it doesn't seem like she's teaching him about taking responsibility for his actions at home. But she would definitely be looking for a new babysitter!

LovingParent08

Answer by LovingParent08 at 5:03 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• Am I the only one how see's this as something an 8 year old would do? He's not 16, he's 8, was what he did intentional? Did he willfully go out and break these things or where they just poor choices? Kids don't always think sometimes they act and then realize thier mistake, it is part of the learning process. You made the deal that he would shovel some snow, that's what I would stick to, when it snows call him up and remind him. I would expect my teens to remember, not my 8 year old. Accountability is great and all kids need to learn it, but it should be age appropriate, and an 8 year old will not always remember on thier own.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 7:39 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• But am I the one that should be calling him? I feel that is his mother's responsibility to remind him, not mine.
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 9:56 PM on Dec. 31, 2008