I have a pituitary tumor which causes hormone imbalance. Just wondering if anyone else out there can give input on how to conceive with this problem.

It took me a year and a half for me to conceive my first child. It took six months ofter my doctor finally figured out what was wrong and gave me meds, but now I have been on the meds for a year with no success.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:58 PM on Dec. 31, 2008 in Trying to Conceive

• That's a good question. I know a girl with the same problem. She has to be on birth control to regulate her period, so how can she get pregnant likr that? Im sorry that I can't answer this for u, but I hope someone can so I can pass any advice on to her....good luck
    TishaLicious420

Answer by TishaLicious420 at 6:26 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• depends what meds; you may need gonal f
    Anonymous

• Are you seeing an endocrinologist? You may need to go see a reproductive endocrinologist as well. Don't hesitate to ask to be referred to SPECIALISTS -- they will know better how to treat your condition more quickly and with more specific medications/treatments.
    KnoxvilleDoula

Answer by KnoxvilleDoula at 8:07 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• Thanks for your answers. That is me too. I have to take birth control and then when I want to get pregnant I take bromocriptine to help make th pituitary work right. It does help reg the periods but so far no luck this time conceiving. I have not seen a specialist yet but will probably try to soon. Was just hoping someone out there had already gone through this and had an aswer!
    Anonymous

• i've been thru infertility; just had my 4mo angel after 6y ttc; I did not have pituitary tumor but did have thyroid dysfunction; the thyroid hormone metabolizes the sex hormones so they were also out of wack; just as your pituitary stimulates the sex hormones and your med prob helps just as my med helped me; but my age >35, I am now certain after 1 whole year of full time research and tests and 1 final m/c, that it was eventually my age, and I needed that 2nd round of fertility drugs by an RE, before my clock ran out.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:53 AM on Jan. 1, 2009

• Birth control pills can be used to stop certain (testosterone is a major one) hormones from producing that are being over produced by the body, and can give an increased amount of another hormone (progesterone) that we need to conceive. Also, if certain medications need time to be effective, doctors will prescribe BC so the meds will be effective and not cause damage to a developing fetus, if pregnancy occurs. Maybe you should ask your doctor to clarify what you are on and why so you won't ber confused?
    misterri

Answer by misterri at 3:41 PM on Jan. 1, 2009