What is the best Vitamins for Kids with ADHD?

Does anyone know what vitamins to buy for a child with ADHD. My son was on Adderall XR for 9 months and I took him off it - Too Scary. Dr. Frank Lawlis has a list, but I would love a combination vitamin. Thanks... We are going the Natural Way to treat ADHD

MomofTwoBoys999

Asked by MomofTwoBoys999 at 2:35 PM on Jul. 15, 2008 in Tweens (9-12)

• i am also looking for the right vitamin for my adhd daughter, shes on clonidine for treatment of her adhd because she gets mean and breaks things. she has been getting flinstones but they say anything with RED dye 40 in it is really bad for adhd kids.
    that leaves very little to give them all around let alone in vitamines. please let me know what you find out.
    thanks, april
    laneanwalkermom

Answer by laneanwalkermom at 3:40 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• I know of a couple of natural supplements for ADHD pm me for more info.
    GarlicMom

Answer by GarlicMom at 3:47 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• There are a few options and it sounds like Garlicmom has smoe suggestions. If you're looking for non-med routes, I also recommend sensory techniques and neurofeedback can be helpful.
    ldtchr

Answer by ldtchr at 1:06 PM on Jul. 18, 2008

• B vitamins and fish oil supplements help. My son has ADHD, BiPolar, Oppositional Defiance Disorder, Impulse Control Disorder, and Dysthemia. We tried Concerta and switched to Adderall. Be careful because too much Adderall sent my son to the psychiatric hospital for 10 days because he became homicidal at 10 years old! B vitamins are energy boosters, but they do the opposite effect on ADHD kids. You are definitely right about Red Dye #40. Makes my son act totally psycho. I know that diets with no artificial flavors or preservatives (Feingold diet) is a natural remedy I have heard about. Be careful with Neurofeedback as well. I know of people who did not benefit at all and spent a lot of money on it.
    goinginsane1

Answer by goinginsane1 at 2:15 AM on Jul. 19, 2008

• We use the feingold program, which I wrote about in my journal if you want to read it.

For supplements check out Dr. Ken Bock's "healing the childhood epidemics". He is a medical doctor and a DAN doctor. What a great book. Everything I've ever read about for natural treatments (at least the ones that sounded good to me) are in this book. It has a great vitamin and supplement section that mentions them according to the symptom treated. It was such a great book it inspired me to make an appointment with a DAN doctor.

We already do very well with many of the things mentioned in the book ie diet, enzymes, probiotics, and vitamins. But I want to review them with the doctor and get some specialized testing done.

I'll be posting about my DAN experience when I get started. If you want to be my friend you will be notified when I put a post in my journal. (anyone else is welcome as well)

Good luck!!!
    Shirlgirlie

Answer by Shirlgirlie at 7:22 PM on Aug. 15, 2008