• In the Spotlight:

what month age is it safe to give my baby a medium flow nipple?

my baby is mainly breastfed & currently starting to take the bottle but slow flow is too slow for her to the point where she refuses the bottle. the faster nipple seems to suit her because she doesn't complain

ngill

Asked by ngill at 4:12 PM on Dec. 31, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• it isn't really based on age. it's your daughter's ability to handle the flow. If you are using playtex, i recommend the variable flow nipples. Baby has to suck on it for it to come out, so it flows depending on how hard baby sucks. My daughter loved them. we switched to those around 6 months as it took about an hour to take a bottle on the slow flow nipples! Once we got those and a few medium, we were back to 15-20 minutes. The mediums were actually really messy so I tossed those and stuck with the variable.
    ferdo0204

Answer by ferdo0204 at 4:17 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• Then give her the faster flow. It's not a "month" thing it's what they need or can handle. If she's refusing when you use the slow flow, but not the fast...I'd go with the quicker one.

My youngest was born 4 weeks early and had a weak suck. He was on a fast flow nipple at 1 week of age.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 4:17 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• Ig you give the faster flow she may begin to prefer the bottle, and go on a nursing strike
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 4:19 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• The PP has a good point. I would give her the faster flow only if she refuses the slower flow but be cautious of nursing strikes.
    TanyaR1024

Answer by TanyaR1024 at 5:18 PM on Dec. 31, 2008