I need maternity insurance but we can't afford regular insurance and we don't qualify for medicaid. What are my options?

We are not pregnant yet, but we want to be! lol! I don't have insurance and we can't afford to add me onto my hubby's because if we do then it becomes a family plan and it costs more than our mortgage! I looked into medicaid but we don't qualify. I saw something about maternity coverage without insurance but it was on the internet and, as you know, not everything is accurate on the internet! LOL! Has anyone ever used anything like this? Any ideas for me?

pink72princess

Asked by pink72princess at 4:14 PM on Dec. 31, 2008 in Pregnancy

Level 1 (-3 Credits)
  • Well, you can expect LARGE payments when you go in for docs visits, and expect to have to pay for your labor before or around your 7th month. I had to make $250 payments everytime I went in. Go figure that she didn't even end up delivering our baby and I DID NOT get a refund. I had to pay for all ultrasounds and lab work. Really expensive.
    Anonymous

• once you have your child you are going to need family insurance anyways. you may be able to get medicaid for pregnant women but i'm not sure about that or maybe you can finance the birth with a dr or midwife, I'd search around b/f becoming pregnant and look at the diff options and then pre-budget for them so it won't be as big a shock to your finances.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 4:33 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• All states offer medicaid to pregnant women who dont have insurance to keep the mortality rate for babies in check. Wait until you get pregnant then go to the health dep and get a positive test. They will ask if you have insurance and you say no and theyll tell you how to sign up. They also offer insurance for babies up to one year to cover immunizations.

Answer by gemgem at 4:34 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• First if you can't afford insurance then why are you having a baby? Just a thought
    Anonymous

• I am goin through that now too. I am pregnant, and have no insurance. Where do you live? Here in texas, if you don't qualify for medicaid, they will usually submit it to CHIP Perinatal program. It is through the state, not the government. And it covers familys who make too much for medicaid. That is what i was on when i had my first. Because we made too much for medicaid. Now with my second, i am going to apply for medicaid since i already have 1 child and see if i qualify or not. It is a pain because they have to have proof of pregnancy and i can't afford to go to the doctor becuase the visti is so expensive, and the health dept has been closed for the past 2 weeks for the holidays....;cont...
    jaceyrayesmom

Answer by jaceyrayesmom at 4:50 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• So i have to wait until next week to get the pregnancy test. And i had and individual insurance plan that i had for 2 years on my own, and i did not comer maternity when i called them they said that no individual plan does. THat was unicare. And neithe mine nor my husbands work does not offer health insurance. So just because of that is NO REASON SHE SHOULDN'T HAVE A BABY ANON 3:47. Just because someone can't afford high doctors bills and hospitilaztaion bills doesn't mean they can't afford the raise there child. I know when i called my doctor, the first visit alone was $450.00. Then no telling how much after that and for ultrasound. People can't help it if there employers don't offer affordable health plane. I can't belive that anon 3:47 posted that comment.
    jaceyrayesmom

Answer by jaceyrayesmom at 4:54 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• Please first try to get insurace. That happend to me when I was expecting....(It caught me by surprise), and I try to apply to a bunch of insurances, and they didn't took me because they said I was already pregnant.
    So first get insurace that way you are covered...
    BEST OF LUCK! =0)
    But there are like couple of insrauce, I dont know if they could call insurances, but they pay like a % of your doctor's visits, but I don't remember what they are called... Sorry =(
    jcampos

Answer by jcampos at 5:20 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• I live in Illinois and I know the state offers "All Kids" insurance. I'm sure you would qualify for something like that in your state when you become pregnant. They base your monthly premium on your income. I would look into it. It's like Medicaid that you pay for.
    blainesmommy03

Answer by blainesmommy03 at 5:20 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• Thankyou ladies for all your help, and to answer the anonymous person asking about why we would want another baby if we cant afford insurance, the answer is because a baby doesn't cost $1400.00 a month! Especially because we use cloth diapers and breast feed! No hurt feelings or anything, just wanted to answer your good question! Thanks!

pink72princess

Answer by pink72princess at 6:29 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• YES STATES OFFER MEDICAID BUT NOT EVERYONE QUALIFIES. I DONT AND AM 37 WEEKS PREGNANT AND DONT EVEN WORK FULL TIME. BUT ANYWAYS, THATS JUST A COMMON MISCONCEPTION.
    THEY CAN PUT YOU ON EMERGENCY MEDICAID BUT AGAIN YOU HAVE TO QUALIFY. YA THE MONEY CAN REALLY ADD UP. JUST LOOK INTO EACH DOCTOR YOU CONSIDER AND EACH HOSPITAL THEY REFER TO. MY DR ONLY HAD ME PAYING 55$ A MONTH FOR LIKE 5 MONTHS FOR THE PRENATAL SERVICES THEN LABOR AND DELIVERY IS SEPERATE.
    sassy_brizzy

Answer by sassy_brizzy at 8:20 PM on Dec. 31, 2008