I babysit a premie she is now 5 months old and 9 lbs. She keeps waking up every 2 hrs - I babyit nights and would it hurt to add a tiny bit of cereal to her formula? Any tips?

montanapatty

Asked by montanapatty at 4:17 PM on Dec. 31, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i wouldnt add anything to anything unles you have premission from her parents.. if u add something, she gets used to it.. then she wont sleep for them unles she has it. they probably have a routine, you dont.. suck it up!
    Anonymous

• if you babysit her... DO NOT add cereal in her bottle that is not your place to determine that kind of stuff. talk to hte mom and ask.
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 4:18 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• Sleeping through the night is a development milestone and has nothing to do with cereal. Giving her cereal may just upset her stomach and keep you up even more. Sounds like she's going through a growth spurt. Have you talked to her mom? Surely you wouldn't do that without speaking with her first.
    MamaJen74

Answer by MamaJen74 at 4:19 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• Not w/o parent and doctor permission!!
    Anonymous

• Sorry...but I think it would hurt because she's not your kid.

Remember...if she's a preemie, you have to adjust her age. She is not 5 months developmentally.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 4:28 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• Its not your place to decide to start giving cereal your not her parent and FYI you never add cereal to the bottle it can cause the child to asperate and get it into there lungs
    hautemama83

Answer by hautemama83 at 4:36 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• Giving solids to an infant that is not yours before 6 months, in their bottle and in an attempt to get them to sleep. There are so many things wrong with that!
    Anonymous

• It is not your place to decide!!!! You're the one who chose to take on an infant baby sitting at nights.
    It's harmful to do that anyway. (sigh)
    Anonymous

• Cereal will NOT help her sleep longer. That is one of the oldest myths in the book.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 6:55 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• I have a preemie that is 5 months, and you must keep in mind that a baby that is premature is not going to be on target developmentally like a full term baby would be. Depending on how premature she was will depend on how far behind she is in development. My dd is 6 weeks premature, so she is like a 3.5 month old..not a 5 month old.
    I would not give her cereal in her bottle. It is not your call, it is her parents' decision and that of their ped. Cereal is best by spoon not bottle unless there is an underlying medical reason for it being in the bottle. My dd has been on cereal in her bottle due to reflux since she was 10 weeks old, but I must admit I would not be pleased if someone took it upon themselves to give it to my child without my ok and it being a medical reason.
    mcginnisc

Answer by mcginnisc at 11:13 PM on Dec. 31, 2008