OOO That Smell

OK, I have to address bedwetting separately. My adopted 13 year old wets, not a little, but soaks her bedding at night. Then she puts it in a plastic bag and hides it. By the time I find it, the odor could knock you out. (We are addressing bizzarre behavior separately. ) I put it on the porch to keep the stench out of my house while I do laundry loads of washing those things. The smell has backed up into my house anyway.

What can I do to get rid of the odor of urine?

LeftBrainy

Asked by LeftBrainy at 4:35 PM on Dec. 31, 2008 in Teens (13-17)

• Open your house windows. I know it's probably cold outside but fresh air is the best. I don't know of a deodorizer that truly gets rid of smells. You might try burning a nice scented candle to over come the urine smell. Sorry. Sounds like she's having a hard time and so are you.

Southerncharmes

Answer by Southerncharmes at 4:37 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• Wash the clothes in vinegar, that will keep it out of the clothes. And then as was said before, air out the house.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 5:24 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• There are meds for bedwetting. Talk to her doctor. But I think nothing will stop the urine odor. Best bet is to replace the mattress and when you do put a plastic zipper cover on the mattress and water proof sheets under the regular sheets.

I hope you can find a solution soon.
    pamkay414

Answer by pamkay414 at 6:18 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• I found this GREAT stuff at a local health food organics store that is a total miracle worker!!! I have a 13 year old bedwetter as well (past issues with his bio dad are probably a contributing factor) and this stuff completely gets rid of it and it's 100% organic and natural! Makes the room smell like oranges (or at least the kind I got is.....the next time I went to that store I bought A TON of bottles! LOL) Check with your local health food stores or organic stores or go to their website. www.miarose.com I think on their website they have other scents but I just buy mine from the store and they only have the orange. It's actually an air santitizer and purifier so it kills the odor totally!
    proverbsmommy4

Answer by proverbsmommy4 at 7:10 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• mixture of apple cider vinger and water and then wash it then take some lemon juice and spray it on the area let it air dry before you put sheets back on there
    bugbug07

Answer by bugbug07 at 8:59 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• Add Borax to the wash, it works GREAT! Don't use Febreeze, it will just make your house smell like flowers and pee, but the Borax is great.
    TammyG.

Answer by TammyG. at 9:34 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• I recommend Nature's Miracle (dog product) for the smell. Check it for ingredients if she will be exposed directly to it.
    happi-ladi

Answer by happi-ladi at 10:08 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• Yep, Borax is great for getting the smell out of the bedclothes and also for getting the mattress clean (if you don't have rubber sheets on it to protect it). You can buy Borax at Walmart in the laundry aisle and the directions are right on the box.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 6:51 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• use plain old rubbing alcohol! you can dump it on the bedding, let it soak, and you can put in directly into the washing machine. i swear by this. if it can take cat pee out of clothes, it can DEF take care of your problem!
    abpfeffer2002

Answer by abpfeffer2002 at 11:02 AM on Jan. 7, 2009