Thrush in baby and breastfeeding

He 9 month old and has thrush mainly in back of mouth and throat. I don't think I have it but I know I can get it from him during feeding. Any suggestions on what I need to be doin to keep it from passing back and forth?

aeemom

Asked by aeemom at 4:47 PM on Dec. 31, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You can use grapefruit seed extract. 20 drops in one ounce of distilled water. Swab his mouth after each feedining and your nipples every hour. KNocked it right out for me. Nystatin has sugar in it which feeds yeast. It did nothing for our thrush and the docs really weren't interested in seeing us, they just called it in.

Gentian violet works well too but it'll stain everything purple.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 5:47 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• You have to go to the doctor. They will put you on like a Diflucan pill and him on Nystatin. You have to make sure that you are both treated at the same time.
    blackwellqk

Answer by blackwellqk at 4:49 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• Both of you need to be treated
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 4:54 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• He has been put on nystatin. The dr knows I breastfeed but didn't give me anything. Do I need to go to my own dr for this?
    aeemom

Answer by aeemom at 4:55 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• My baby had that and we both had to be treated. My dds pediatrician wrote me a script for me and dd when we went in. Not all drs do you will have to ask when you take the baby in.

Answer by gemgem at 5:14 PM on Dec. 31, 2008