6 year old cries everyday at school

My 6 year old has always been easy going. Through preschool and kindergarten he never had any problems adjusting to his new environments. Now that he is starting 1st grade I am very concerned because he cries every morning as we line up in school. He does not want to walk in the classroom and will turn around and stand by my side crying until the teacher holds him and takes him inside. Once inside the teacher says he calms down and will complete all his work for the rest of the day. He calms down in class but will cry during recess and lunch time. He did tell the teacher and I that he "misses mom". Any suggestions of how I can help him adjust to his new life as a 1st grader. I reassure him every day that I will pick him up as soon as school ends. He does not want a picture of mom and dad to take to school because it will make him feel sad. Please help!

egmartinez

Asked by egmartinez at 2:02 PM on Sep. 13, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• What about preparing some special treats and having the teacher tuck the surprise each day into his desk or backpack or coat pocket, so he has something from you to look forward to finding sometime throughout the day?
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 2:04 PM on Sep. 13, 2011

• My daughter cried every day in kindergarten until November! But she finally stopped. Another girl in her class also cried. Her mother sent in a picture of herself for the girl to look at whenever she felt sad. I think it worked. I also think that time will take care of this. Just be patient. I know it's hard!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:05 PM on Sep. 13, 2011

• :( My little one had a bit of trouble adjusting to first grade this year too. In her case it is because there is no snack/rest time and there isn't a bathroom in her classroom like last year. Additionally, the learning is much more structured.

We're in week two and she's doing so much better. Trying giving him a little more time to adjust. Talk to his teacher and hopefully you and she can set up a workable plan to make him more comfortable. I'm sorry. Sad kiddos tug at the heart strings
    Brawnwyn

Answer by Brawnwyn at 2:05 PM on Sep. 13, 2011

• All you can do mom is keep reassuring him and don't stand around too much when you leave him, it only makes it worse, just keep reassuring him you will always come back to get him and also emphasize that he is such a big boy now, and praise lots of praise, he will ok mom, you will see......

Answer by older at 2:06 PM on Sep. 13, 2011

• my son does the same thing and all you can do is just keep reassuring him that you will be there when school is done
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 2:10 PM on Sep. 13, 2011

• First grade is more work and the kids are expected to be more independent. Maybe he doesn't have kids to play with at recess. I wouldn't worry too much, some kids just need more time to get comfortable.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 2:26 PM on Sep. 13, 2011

• that would break my heart. i would want to volunteer and be at school more to be sure he isnt being picked on... be a lunch lady!!
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 2:41 PM on Sep. 13, 2011

• My strategy was to volunteer to work in the classroom. Not to be near/interact with the children/my child, but to do busy work peripherally.
    My daughter saw I was near & accessible and saw that she was okay. She knew I knew all was safe so she felt safe, in time.
    It was mainly a matter of immersing in the new routine and making friends.

How overwhelming for the little one!
    :-(

Hugs!
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 2:44 PM on Sep. 13, 2011

• I think it may just be first grade. My DD did the same thing, she took a family picture to carry around with her. It will get better!
    redtree5

Answer by redtree5 at 7:05 AM on Sep. 14, 2011