Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Need help getting a creditor off my back

When I was 18 I lived with a boyfriend in an apartment, things went very sour and he got abusive. I broke up with him but we were still living there together for a few weeks, then I found out that I was pregnant. I tried to work things out to stay there for the rest of the lease but he would not leave and I was not going to stay there with him cause he did not know I was pregnant. I tried to get the apartment complex to let me make payments but they wanted every thing I owed them on the spot. I did move out right away for the safety of my daughter. My ex and I were both on the lease but the creditor is only coming after me. I have given them my ex's phone number and address and place of work, but they don't even try to contact him. It's been 5 years since I left the apartment complex, and I still get calls every day from them. They constantly threaten to take me to court and garnish my wages. I now owe them over $9000.

Answer Question

Asked by ashlrenee at 6:26 PM on Dec. 31, 2008 in Money & Work

Level 10 (488 Credits)
Answers (11)
  • The only thing you can do is pay them. But if you call and set up payments they will stop harassing you. Don't let them push you to payments you can't make...even $25 is better than nothing.

    Also, if you know you will get a decent amount for your tax return, you can tell them that you just want to pay it off, but don't have the full amount, and often times they will "settle", meaning they will offer you a much lower price, often times 1/2 the debt owed, just so that they can get SOMETHING out of it and just be done.

    Regardless, you need to call them and set up payments. You owe them...there is no way out of it unless you take HIM to court and make the debt fully his responsibility.

    Answer by CarolynBarnett at 6:34 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

  • That totally sucks. But since your name was on the lease, they can come after you. One thing you can do is make some type of payment arrangement, even like $5 a week or even $5 a month. Tell them that's all you can afford. And then pay it. Once you start paying them them, you request that they no longer contact you and they shouldn't If you want to take it further, get a lawyer involved to help them go after your ex. Goodluck.

    Answer by CookieMom108 at 6:37 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

  • You need to just talk to them and see what they are willing to do for you. It's not one of those things that you can ignore and it will go away. It will just get worse if you ignore it! Creditors are obnoxious like that.

    Answer by sbastille at 6:39 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

  • That what creditor's do for a living harass people that owe debt. That is how they get their weekly check. Let me ask you a question, would you like to increase your credit score? Try credit repair. Credit repair is low cheap and affordable. It is only one phone call away or email. Email me and I can explain the cost.

    Lets start off 2009 with something positive!

    Answer by Trinicia at 6:44 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

  • My experience is if they haven't done anything yet girl, they aren't serious. See, they know there isn't much they can do besides call and harrass you. I would get your phone number changed and not let them know where I live. They can't get blood out of a turnip. If nothing else, go talk to an attorney or a credit counseling agency. However, like the above said, do not let them push you into any type of payment that you can't afford!

    Answer by pupmom at 6:53 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

  • the best bet would be to send them at least $10 a month.. it should keep them off your back because at least you are trying.

    Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 9:07 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

  • girl don't send them any money. Most people don't realize but debts do expire. In some states they expire after 3 years, in most it's 5 years, after your last payment. You say it's been about five years, so that debt has probably expired. But if you send them even just $10 than the five years starts all over again, and you are now obligated to pay the full amount. Look up the law in your state, and see if that debt has expired. If it has than just tell them you are not obligated to pay an expired debt, and they need to stop harassing you. Send them something in writing with your ex's name and phone number on it, and tell them he is the one responsible for the debt.

    Answer by my2.5boys at 10:50 AM on Jan. 1, 2009

  • Um in my state it's 10-15 years depending on the type of debt and the contract. she still owes the money. Your responsible you need to make payments on them.

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:26 AM on Jan. 1, 2009

  • In AZ it's 7 years. And the debts automatically drop off. If you do call them and set up payments or whatever do NOT grant them access to your checking account and do NOT give them post dated checks either. They'll clean you out.

    Answer by feesharose at 1:43 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

  • Actually, they legally cannot threaten to take you to court and garnish your wages unless they are actually going to do that. How lo0ng have they been threatening to do that to you? If it's been awhile, the next time they call let them know you are reporting them for the threats you've received over the phone then get their address. Write them a letter letting them know to ONLY contact you in writing, and to never call you again. Send it certified mail with a receipt, and if they call you after they receive it you can report it as they CANNOT call once they receive the letter.

    Answer by melamommy24 at 10:09 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.