I can't believe they did this UUGGGHHHH

OK so my DD's (6 & 9) took a bath together today (like they have many times before). Harmless right? NOT TODAY. I accidentally left my razor on the side of the tub (for which I know I am wrong so please, no need to bash or be ignorant). Long story short, for some unknown reason, they both picked it up and my youngest DD ended up cutting the back of her ankle and the very, very tip of her eyebrows (neither of which was bad or is noticable enough unless you really look close TG) and my oldest DD "shaved her legs" but didn't get hurt (again TG). With that being said, I know I was wrong for leaving it in the bathtub, but am I wrong for being PISSED off at them because they know better and never should have touched it? I"M SHOCKED but I feel bad in a way for punishing them for something I was partly wrong in. And again, PLEASE NO BASHING.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:02 PM on Dec. 31, 2008 in General Parenting

• They were curious. No one got hurt. I say you should only scold yourself, not them.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:04 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• My youngest son got his hands on his dad's razor one day & cut his finger.... which I'd told him not to touch I don't know how many times.

I figured the pain of the cut itself + me washing it out with peroxide was punishment enough.

He hasn't touched it since.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 7:05 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• I don't know that I would punish them, per se, but I would definitely give them a lecture about touching something they know they shouldn't and that isn't theirs, and how dangerous it was to play with something sharp like that.
    pbgibson

Answer by pbgibson at 7:08 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• So my son once chewed an electrical cord. He was 6. Old enough to know better, but he did it anyway. Yea, he got into trouble. I think you should sit them down and talk to them about what they did and why it was dangerous. Say that you should be able to trust them to follow the rules. Accept the fact that you made a mistake and own up to that, but that doesn't make it okay for them to do something potentially dangerous. Good luck.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 7:08 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• I did this when I was little. It is now one of my funny memories. Just let it go as a learning experience. Yes the razor should not have been there in the first place. Yet, we all make mistakes or become forgetful. What your girls did is nothing worse than playing with lipstick or trying to walk in high heels. They were imitating mommy. The biggest form of flattery there is. One of life's little mishaps. If it were me I wouldn't be mad at them. BTW I let me daughter start shaving her legs at 11. She hit puberty early. So, maybe this is a good time to show the oldest how to do it properly for when the time comes.
    CelticFaerie

Answer by CelticFaerie at 7:09 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• Well i always have mine and my SO's razors on the edge of the tub and my kids know better than to touch them so i know if they did they would have known it was wrong and yes i would be mad too!! right or wrong of me they know better!!
    scaredmommy08

Answer by scaredmommy08 at 7:11 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• Don't beat up yourself, or them, too much! When your kids get to that age, (mine are 5 & 8) it's easy to forget that they will sometimes do things even though you've told them not to 100's of times! I would have scolded them and let them know that they could have really hurt themselves, but probably would not have punished too severely. I would also be sure to be more careful with the razors in the future, but would let them know, if it happens again, they WILL be punished! Ok, gotta go now, I need to go check MY shower for razors!
    Mishelly728

Answer by Mishelly728 at 7:12 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• Well DH and I talked about it and decided that they get no computer or phone time until Friday. Does that sound reasonable?
    Anonymous

• I don't think you should punish them. when I was 6 my mom had left her razor nd I shaved my arms. I didn't get in trouble for it b/c I was too young to know better but it's funny I remember it
    SMWOODS

Answer by SMWOODS at 7:37 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• That sounds really excessive, actually. I would think a good long talking-to would be most appropriate. But I don't know your home or your problems, so I don't know. But no phone or computer until Friday? Ouch.
    SamanthaAgain

Answer by SamanthaAgain at 7:43 PM on Dec. 31, 2008