does anyone know anything about spastic bladders or post residual urine after voiding?

My 5 year old is having accidents (for about a year now randomly) and they told me she does not fully void and she has a spastic bladder. We had a Dr tell us today to medicate her for 6 months and we have to "potty" her every 2 hours for the next 6 months to correct it. Any suggestions or experience in this department? HELP... are we doing the correct thing by listening to this Dr? Thanks! :0

Banandrea

Asked by Banandrea at 8:00 PM on Dec. 31, 2008 in Kids' Health

• It sounds like what they call bladder training. It helps strengthen the muscles. When bladder spasms it becomes an accident but some stays in I guess? Goin every two hours will empty the bladder like it should. Once the bladder training is over the spasms and accidents should stop because the muscles will be stronger. Did that make sense?
    aeemom

Answer by aeemom at 9:35 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• I have neurogenic bladder because I have spina bifida. It's not the same as your child, but I had to go through similar training. Ditropan helps relax the bladder. I don't know if that what your child is on or not, but it works, but it does have some side effects - dry mouth, especially. Going to the bathroom every 2 hours is what I have always had to do. I had to do that especially before I could train myself to recognize that I had a full bladder. Going that often helps keep the bladder empty and to avoid accidents.
    Is the doctor you are seeing a urologist? If not, a second opinion from a urologist could help ease your mind.

My best to you!
    hcmerrell

Answer by hcmerrell at 1:30 AM on Jan. 3, 2009

• My 6 year old daughter was diagnosed with Bladder Reflux when she was 4. She had corrective bladder surgury and had to take a "pee class" The surgury was hell on her and very painful (she doesn't really remember) She was having constant infections. She seems to be fully recovered and it was hard telling her constantly to go to the bathroom to fully "void". This is a hereditary disease and is usually caught in much younger children. Sometimes, they put them on antibiotics for about 8 years rather than go through surgery. Hers was too severe. Is this a possibility?
    pattigioeli

Answer by pattigioeli at 11:35 AM on Jan. 19, 2009