when you get an epidural...

does it really break part of your back where the injection is?

thats what this girl said at my work.

i wont believe it until i know for sure, but what do you know about this?
and how large is the needle? like use inches to describe :) thanks

KelsoBabeyy

Asked by KelsoBabeyy at 8:26 PM on Dec. 31, 2008 in Pregnancy

• WHAT? That's just a ridiculous thing to say, it doesn't break anything. It goes into this sac in the spine, someone else could probably explain it better but it certainly doesn't break anything.... it hurts but It sounds like she's just scaring you
    AshJoe05

Answer by AshJoe05 at 8:28 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• It breaks the skin, obviously. But it doesn't break your back bone!

I've had an epidural and a spinal... both went well.
    SahmTam

Answer by SahmTam at 8:29 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• haha she lied to u.... i didnt look at the needle lol..... i didnt want one i just HAD to get one.. but it only leaves a small mark where it was
    Anonymous

• Whaaat? If it broke part of your back, there would be a lot of broken women in this world, lol. I couldn't tell you how big the needle is, but I know it's definitely bigger than the ones used to draw blood. I believe it's an 18-gauge, I could be wrong but that's the figure I heard one time. They numbed my back before they stuck it in, so I didn't really feel the needle. My epidural experience was fabulous, I was really lucky.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 8:32 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• I don't think that girl at work likes you very much LOL.
    Anonymous

• All I know is there is a certain tiny spot where the epi is supposed to go and if they misplace it, just by a fraction of a cm then it doesn't work... luckily for me I was the one that it got misplaced on... *rolls eyes*. So needless to say, the 38 hours of labor were not helped by the epi and then the emergency c-section happened... they assured me the epi was working and I was losing it, so they cut! Bet they'll never do that again, they should have listened....lol
    AshJoe05

Answer by AshJoe05 at 8:33 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• actually we get a long good thanks.
    KelsoBabeyy

Answer by KelsoBabeyy at 8:35 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• LOL You're friend was either pulling your leg or (no offense to her) had no idea what she was talking about. It doesn't break your back, if it did there would be a lot of hurting women. I don't know why she told you that, but if you are really concerned talk to your doctor, he/she will tell you the same thing! Besides if it broke your back, it sure as hell wouldn't be used so commonly!
    katzmeow726

Answer by katzmeow726 at 8:40 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• NO .. Make sure you get it though when you begin because I didnt get it till I had 4 shots of pitocin( I have a high tolerance) and When the needle went in I was in the middle of a contraction and feeling the needle at the same made me arch my back and I was suppose to be sitting up leaning foward.

But No your back does not break.. that would be so hard to have a broken back and take care of a brand new baby.. impossible
    UAFwife

Answer by UAFwife at 8:41 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• The needle is pretty long like several inches, but it comes out and just leaves a really thin plastic cathater in your back. It goes inbetween the bones of your spine, like a joint if you can picture that better. there is alreay an opening there, and then they will tape like an iv line from your back up to your side where they can put the vial of medicine that will drip into your spine.
    lasombrs

Answer by lasombrs at 9:01 PM on Dec. 31, 2008